Eye Injury

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so for the last 2-3 days my vlamingii tangs eye has gotten worse and worse and today he was hiding and not eating and i was able to catch him easily so i put him in the QT tank in my garage does this look like pop eye? or an injury? i have ERYTHROMYCIN on hand is there anything else i can do to help ive had him almost 4 years and im scared im gonna lose him :( i thought if it was an injury since he was still eating it would get better

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
so for the last 2-3 days my vlamingii tangs eye has gotten worse and worse and today he was hiding and not eating and i was able to catch him easily so i put him in the QT tank in my garage does this look like pop eye? or an injury? i have ERYTHROMYCIN on hand is there anything else i can do to help ive had him almost 4 years and im scared im gonna lose him :( i thought if it was an injury since he was still eating it would get better

Does appear as such. Treat with Maracyn which is ethromyacin for at least 5 days however if the tank has copper- Do Not mix them

OP
OP
Qasimja

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im just hoping he makes it but he was caught very easily in my experience fish that are caught so easily dont make it often im keeping my fingers crossed

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

@vetteguy is the tang guru - my opinion - looking at parts of your video suggests the lens has been moved/damaged from an injury. (If you look closely at the reflected light). There is no disadvantage to Maracyn prophylactically (and I was going to agree with this) - to answer your question - I do not think that the initial problem was an infection. Instead an injury.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm going to change slightly. I would not use erythromycin if possible - use Maracyn, etc - that is easy to dose.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i have erythromycin, furan-2, metroplex and kanaplex on hand but no maracyn i will need to order that
I would suggest kanaplex. Its not that you can't use erythromycin - just that if you're using a non-aquarium product its a lot harder to dose>

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would suggest kanaplex. Its not that you can't use erythromycin - just that if you're using a non-aquarium product its a lot harder to dose>
Also - Maracyn is itself erythromycin - so if y ou want to use what you have - depending on what it actually is - it probably will do no harm

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
im just hoping he makes it but he was caught very easily in my experience fish that are caught so easily dont make it often im keeping my fingers crossed
Use Maracyn please which IS ethromyacinAKA Maracyn 1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Use Maracyn please which IS ethromyacinAKA Maracyn 1
I need to bring a point to you - He has Erythromycin. He does not have maracyn . The problem is that 200 mg of erythromycin in a pill (for example) it not the same as 200 mg pure erythromycin. And the 'pill' erythromycin types - often have other things that take up the weight. It totally depends on whether he can get maracyn - or whether he knows the erythromycin dose from the tablets/source used. In reality - there is no magic with Maracyn vs erythrmycin - or another broad spectrum antibiotic. Excepting the dose - and the type of tank that works best - i.e. a display or a QT/hospital tank In the case noted - its a hospital tank - seemingly - and no obvious infection. IMHO kanamycin is fine

OP
OP
Qasimja

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to bring a point to you - He has Erythromycin. He does not have maracyn . The problem is that 200 mg of erythromycin in a pill (for example) it not the same as 200 mg pure erythromycin. And the 'pill' erythromycin types - often have other things that take up the weight. It totally depends on whether he can get maracyn - or whether he knows the erythromycin dose from the tablets/source used. In reality - there is no magic with Maracyn vs erythrmycin - or another broad spectrum antibiotic. Excepting the dose - and the type of tank that works best - i.e. a display or a QT/hospital tank In the case noted - its a hospital tank - seemingly - and no obvious infection. IMHO kanamycin is fine
the product im using is API E.M. Erythromycin

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
1709941861347.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back