Eye injury or infection

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He came in like this a few days ago and has been in copper. I first thought it’s an eye injury but there appears to be some fuzzy things on it…, this is the best shot I can get with him. He is eating well but I need help to diagnose what’s wrong with the eye.

I have API EM ERYTHROMYCIN and it’s mostly to treat eye issues but I’ve never used it so any input on using it to feed or as a bath would be helpful. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_8963.mov
    7 MB
  • IMG_8963.mov
    12 MB

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Unfortunately I can't see the injury or eye in the videos you posted due to R2R's handling of videos. Generally speaking - it's difficult to tell whether it could be flukes, an infection (followed by an injury) or an injury alone. I would consider adding a broad spectrum antibiotic to your current regimen. Apologies - I'm in and out of the forum - I know there is a table somewhere that explains which reef medications are compatible with copper, etc. Best wishes!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
He came in like this a few days ago and has been in copper. I first thought it’s an eye injury but there appears to be some fuzzy things on it…, this is the best shot I can get with him. He is eating well but I need help to diagnose what’s wrong with the eye.

I have API EM ERYTHROMYCIN and it’s mostly to treat eye issues but I’ve never used it so any input on using it to feed or as a bath would be helpful. Thanks
Looks like a result of injury and is severely infected to the point there may be retina damage. With the accelerated stage of this damage, recovery is uncertain however, I've seen many fish with one good eye that functioned normally. Best chance for treatment with no assured results is use of Maracyn (not maracyn oxy) which is ethromyacin and is effective for many eye issues

OP
OP
sc50964

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a result of injury and is severely infected to the point there may be retina damage. With the accelerated stage of this damage, recovery is uncertain however, I've seen many fish with one good eye that functioned normally. Best chance for treatment with no assured results is use of Maracyn (not maracyn oxy) which is ethromyacin and is effective for many eye issues
Thx. If I leave it untreated, will the infection spread?

I can simply move him over to a separate tank and treat him with API EM ethromyacin

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thx. If I leave it untreated, will the infection spread?

I can simply move him over to a separate tank and treat him with API EM ethromyacin
Untreated will worsen and possible loss of eye

OP
OP
sc50964

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Untreated will worsen and possible loss of eye
okay so do I add any bio filter to this new QT? I assume not since that will counter the antibiotics.

So if when ammonia goes up , is it safe to use prime with this antibiotics?

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The best way to deal with ammonia in a sterile QT is water changes, and lots of them. Make sure to add any and all medications and treatments to the new water before you put it in the tank, so the level never goes down.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
okay so do I add any bio filter to this new QT? I assume not since that will counter the antibiotics.

So if when ammonia goes up , is it safe to use prime with this antibiotics?
Bio media from previous tank always helps
Change water when only necessary as you are reducing/removing some of the treatment

OP
OP
sc50964

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bio media from previous tank always helps
Change water when only necessary as you are reducing/removing some of the treatment
Doesn’t biofilter just break down the antibiotics right away or much sooner?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Doesn’t biofilter just break down the antibiotics right away or much sooner?
Not a filter unit- Bio-Media such as sponge or marine block

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is it just the left eye? Is the right eye cloudy at all? I ask because that is how I generally tell injury from flukes when it comes to fish eyes - injuries are almost always just one eye, and flukes almost always involve both eyes.
Jay

OP
OP
sc50964

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it just the left eye? Is the right eye cloudy at all? I ask because that is how I generally tell injury from flukes when it comes to fish eyes - injuries are almost always just one eye, and flukes almost always involve both eyes.
Jay
Just one eye. Should I treat him with prazi or antibiotics? He already went through one round of prazi & his eye hasn’t improved.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just one eye. Should I treat him with prazi or antibiotics? He already went through one round of prazi & his eye hasn’t improved.

With just one eye involved, it is most likely an injury and not flukes. You can treat eye injuries in a treatment tank with Erythromycin (Maracyn 1) but if you would need to catch the fish and move it, there is a risk of further damage. If the other eye gets damages, it won't be able to see well enough to eat.

Eye injuries often heal on their own - but can take a month or so.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.6%
Back