New firefish with unknown injury/disease

Dhruv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I have had 2 SW aquariums in the past (reef tanks); this is the 3rd one I have just started. For some reason, I have had terrible luck with firefish overall (1 jumped through the lid, and 3 died without explanation). I have kept other hard fish, such as mandarins, anthias, tangs, etc, with no issue). I just purchased one and realized it has a white spot on its eye (this is from a fish store with a thorough quarantine process). I am adding it into a quarantine tank to observe and ensure it is doing okay.

Do you know what this may be and how to treat it? It looks like a white spot/cloudy eye (maybe an injury or a parasite). I added a link to the image.

Thanks!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey everyone,

I have had 2 SW aquariums in the past (reef tanks); this is the 3rd one I have just started. For some reason, I have had terrible luck with firefish overall (1 jumped through the lid, and 3 died without explanation). I have kept other hard fish, such as mandarins, anthias, tangs, etc, with no issue). I just purchased one and realized it has a white spot on its eye (this is from a fish store with a thorough quarantine process). I am adding it into a quarantine tank to observe and ensure it is doing okay.

Do you know what this may be and how to treat it? It looks like a white spot/cloudy eye (maybe an injury or a parasite). I added a link to the image.

Thanks!

May be damage from netting or other injury but its near impossible to give an assessment without a picture or two under white light intensity

OP
OP
D

Dhruv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May be damage from netting or other injury but its near impossible to give an assessment without a picture or two under white light intensity
Here is a better photo. It is in our observation tank right now. The tank has 0 ammonia, nitrite, and 5-10 ppm nitrate. All other levels are completely normal. It sat down when the lights where off but now seems to be swimming normally.

Attachments

• IMG_2328.jpg
    IMG_2328.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 54

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Here is a better photo. It is in our observation tank right now. The tank has 0 ammonia, nitrite, and 5-10 ppm nitrate. All other levels are completely normal. It sat down when the lights where off but now seems to be swimming normally.
This looks like retina damage and could have been caused by injury, gas bubble, bright light exposure as examples. Can it thrive normally with eye like this - Yes
Can the eye heal to normalcy- it can but can take a month or more if it will

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

Thanks!

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

If the other eye is clear, this is likely just eye damage. As noted, this fish is really thin though. Is it eating for you today? If so, you'll want to bulk it up with multiple small feedings a day with chopped mysids.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would watch carefully (in addition to the other recs) - for any worsening - pop-eye. in that case - it could be a bacterial infection - and I would treat with a broad spectrum antibiotic in a hospital tank

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back