Naoko wrasse eye issue

pav306

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have a naoko wrasse with an eye issue, started off as pop eye, not sure if from infection or injury. I did a whole tank course of cipro and have been feeding vitamin soaked foods to help him recover. It seemed to calm down but this morning the seems to be a white ball stuck to the top of it, almost like a ball of polystyrene from packaging.

He was quarantined using hybrid tank transfer (h202 dips) before adding to the main tank (main tank been through fallow period and every fish qt'd before adding) tank has been disease free for 9months.

Any idea what this is and how to treat?

TIA
20240118_105631.jpg
20240118_105628.jpg
20240118_105532.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have a naoko wrasse with an eye issue, started off as pop eye, not sure if from infection or injury. I did a whole tank course of cipro and have been feeding vitamin soaked foods to help him recover. It seemed to calm down but this morning the seems to be a white ball stuck to the top of it, almost like a ball of polystyrene from packaging.

He was quarantined using hybrid tank transfer (h202 dips) before adding to the main tank (main tank been through fallow period and every fish qt'd before adding) tank has been disease free for 9months.

Any idea what this is and how to treat?

TIA
20240118_105631.jpg
20240118_105628.jpg
20240118_105532.jpg
I can’t say exactly what that is, but probably residual bacterial pustule from the infected eye injury. It looks better than it did though? The fish is still eating well with no other symptoms? I’d be inclined to just watch it for now.

In looking at the pictures some more - is the wrasse thin?

Hybrid TTM doesn’t work well for flukes and some direct developing diseases, but this doesn’t look like any of those.

OP
OP
P

pav306

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He eats like crazy, always 1st to the food, soon as I got to the tank he's up after food, he's only been in the tank a few weeks but defo hasn't lost weight since iv had him

Is it worth scooping him and doing a fluke treatment? With how friendly he is after food it should be quite easy to catch him

Here is a video maybe better to see him, he's quick so hard to film/photo

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

In the video, it does not look quite as thin as it did in that one still photo. The spot on the eye is not a fluke, and without any other fluke symptoms, I would not be inclined to treat it (too stressful). Besides, if there are flukes in the tank, you would need to treat the whole tank, not just the fish.

I would still say wait and see how the pustule develops. It may rupture on its own. Since we don't know the actual cause, rushing into some treatment or another is not a good idea.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back