Failing Atomic Broccoli (Augophyllum wysorii)

  • Thread starter Thread starter Nidirom
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Nidirom

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 4, 2024
Messages
129
Reaction score
95
Location
Orlando
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been trying to grow Atomic Broccoli (Augophyllum wysorii) in my refugium. At first it was doing great I went from a baseball sized piece to multiple chunks the size of vollyballs. Then it all got covered in this green stuff and died. I've tried two more times and both times within a week or so the macro was covered in this stuff and dying. Anyone have any ideas?

20260309_190955.jpg
 
Looks like turf or hair algae to me im sure they both like about the same conditions
 
What is your NO3 and PO4 at?
Phosphate is at .01 and nitrate is at 4. The problem is the green stuff is consuming all the nutrients rather that the macro killing the macro. I've got a solid copepod population, tank has been up for over a year and pretty stable despite the macro die off.
 
Phosphate is at .01 and nitrate is at 4. The problem is the green stuff is consuming all the nutrients rather that the macro killing the macro. I've got a solid copepod population, tank has been up for over a year and pretty stable despite the macro die off.
I am not an expert in macroalgae, but I know some macroalgae have the ability to outcompete others. The way I combat that is have enough nutrients for all and then radically prune/eliminate the nutrient hogs. I think I would try to get your nutrients up a little higher.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 33.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 7 29.2%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 5 20.8%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 37.5%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 16.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new