Fairly new to seahorses and R2R.

JoKar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my seahorses back in July from a local lfs and they have been doing great. On Monday they surprised me with my first batch of fry. When I got home I found 72 survivors in the filter sock.

20210110_193836.jpg 20201220_123237.jpg 20210405_201302.jpg

Blenny1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you JoKar (gonna have to start looking into a tank for mrs now) lol what would be the best size tank over all to keep them in then?

OP
OP
J

JoKar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you JoKar (gonna have to start looking into a tank for mrs now) lol what would be the best size tank over all to keep them in then?
Recommended minimum is 30 gallons/pair. Mine have been doing good in my waterbox 20 cube. However, they are very "dirty" so bigger is better as one pair makes a very heavy bioload. It's basically daily cleaning on the filter sock and I keep a lot of macro algae to keep nutrients under control.

OP
OP
J

JoKar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you and am i right in thinking that depth is fairly important too?
From what I've read, you want at least 3x the depth as the hieght of the horses for mating purposes. As I've said though, I'm relatively new to this, but think I've been pretty successful.

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depth is NOT a necessary factor in keeping seahorses but many feel that to get the benefit of the mating dance you need the height. They can still find a way to reproduce in lower tanks though.
If you check out the stickies at the top of this forum you will find a lot of information going through the threads.
There is more "targeted" information if you go to the Facebook Group "SEAHORSE SOURCE'S GROUP" and then click on the link "FILES" just below the group name.
There is also a lot of info in video format at The Seahorse Whisperer's WINE WEDNESDAY WITH THE WHISPERER, also found on youtube.
Lastly, I don't recommend going smaller than the 30g/pair, especially starting out. Many people do and end up in trouble in the long term. It CAN be done but as there are NO test kits available to the hobbyist to tell you when the water quality is/has degraded to the point bacterial problems are or about to occur, many people think everything is OK and then as gradual degradation of water quality happens unknowingly, seahorse problems become evident at some point even up to well over a year, resulting often in the loss of the seahorse(s).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 56.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.8%
Back