Fairy Wrasse Flukes?

Amoskal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I have a group of fish in QT at the moment. They have been in QT without any treatment for 3 weeks plus and have been doing great with no problems.

Last night I noticed the Pin Tailed Fairy Wrasse laying at the bottom of the tank and breathing hard. This morning he looked worse and also had white stringy feces coming out of him.

I treated with Prazipro first and within 5 minutes he was swimming around the tank and looked better but still breathing hard. I tried to feed mysis with metroplex/focus/garlic but he didn't eat.

After treating with prazipro the other fish seemed to be acting strangely (twitching a little, breathing harder, gulping for air at the surface), but everyone ate the medicated food except the fairy wrasse.

My questions are:
1. Is that behavior normal after prazipro?
2. Should I also add metroplex directly to the water column in hopes of treating the internal parasites if the wrasse isn't eating?

Tank Specs for reference:
-29 Gallon bare bottom with PVC pipes for hiding and a container of sand for wrasses to hide in
-HOB filter
-Additional airstone added after medication

Fish:
-Chalk Basslet
-Foxface
-McCosker's Flasher Wrasse
-Pin Tailed Fairy Wrasse
-Young "Candy Cane" Wrasse (Hologymnosus doliatus)

Thanks so much! Any help is greatly appreciated!

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely need more airflow in the tank when using Prazi. If you by chance overdosed, an even greater oxygen deficiency might occur. Typically, we don't recommend metroplex as part of the QT protocol unless an observed condition calls for it.

Metroplex in the water column will not be consumed in an adequate amount to deal with internal problems.

Did / do you intend to also follow the copper protocol?

You said they've been doing great. Have they been eating heartly? What and now much are you feeding?

OP
OP
A

Amoskal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added the airstone and the water level is a couple of inches below the HOB filter for extra surface agitation.

I followed the prazipro dosage on the bottle and erred on the low side so hopefully its not an overdose.

I only did the metroplex because of white stringy feces. I thought that was evidence of internal parasites.

I haven't dosed with copper at all. I wasn't planning on it but maybe I will assuming they pull through this.

They have been eating hikari mysis (generally 1/2 to 3/4 of a cube) 2x per day, plus sea veggies purple algae in a clip (mostly for the foxface)

All fish are now acting pretty lethargic. Is this normal after prazipro?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I added the airstone and the water level is a couple of inches below the HOB filter for extra surface agitation.

I followed the prazipro dosage on the bottle and erred on the low side so hopefully its not an overdose.

I only did the metroplex because of white stringy feces. I thought that was evidence of internal parasites.

I haven't dosed with copper at all. I wasn't planning on it but maybe I will assuming they pull through this.

They have been eating hikari mysis (generally 1/2 to 3/4 of a cube) 2x per day, plus sea veggies purple algae in a clip (mostly for the foxface)

All fish are now acting pretty lethargic. Is this normal after prazipro?
before assuming internal issues, Are you buy chance feeding mysis shrimp, brine shrimp or Both ?
If so, often these foods will cause feces to mimic white stringy poop
Prazi is Ineffective unless treated at normal dosage for 7-8 days. Prazi will also reduce oxygen hence the fish gasping on the bottom. Adding airstone was a good measure however assure you dont have a rise in ammonia and nitrates.

What test kits are you using ?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back