False Wall Material for DIY AIO tank build

JCSReefing

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 25, 2014
Messages
450
Reaction score
64
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to build a AIO tank with a 20g long with a false wall. My question is what besides black acrylic can be used for this? I know you could do glass painted with krylon fusion to make black but I have read mixed reviews. Some say its reef safe and others say over time is not.
Any input and help on meterials that are 100% reef safe would be a great help.
 
How about using a 3mm thick black acrylic sheet sandwhiched between 2 pieces of 3 mm glass.

The acrylic could be sized slightly smaller than the glass & a bead of silicone along each edge used to bind the two glass sheets together.
 
I built a 10G AOI and just used acrylic painted with fusion. When I sold it 3 years later, none of the paint had lifted
 
No. I've also used it on PVC pipe without issue. It seems to be inert once it is fully cured.
 
That would be the easiest way to just paint up glass but just worried about it leeching.
 
I built a 10G AOI and just used acrylic painted with fusion. When I sold it 3 years later, none of the paint had lifted

Fusion is a plastic-specific paint.

just about all spray paints are fine once cured and off-gassing is finished.
 
That would be the easiest way to just paint up glass but just worried about it leeching.

I don't know if any paint that won't eventually chip or peel off glass, even if just the smallest amount.

Why are you refusing to use acrylic or abs?
 
use vinyl. Have had mine for 3 years inside chamber and hasn't pealed. Also used the vinyl on outside chamber area, looks great.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new