Fan in a Canopy to Protect my lights

rah_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have 2 ai hydra’s 32 installed in a canopy with a roughly 4 inch square cut in the canopy for heat to pass out and the light cables to go out of the canopy. It’s around 4 inches on all the 4 sides.

My lights are 1 month old. One of them flickers for a few seconds then runs normal and again after approx 3/4 minutes it flickers and then works normally like a charm. Ai hydra customer support has not yet responded which sucks.

Now pls advice if that square is fine or I need a plastic fan of some kind installed in the canopy for the lights or no need at all. Installing one will be a pain because there is live stock in my aquarium.

The aquarium I am talking about is a rimless one which looks beautiful. The only reason I installed the canopy is due to light spill because back then it was in my bedroom but now I have moved it in my hall. The mesh used to do a fine job in keeping the fish inside too.

So pls advise, if I need a fan or abandon the canopy and go rimless for the betterment of the lights. Those are really expensive lights and I don’t want to cook the lenses, Lol. I put my head inside the canopy to check on the rocks last night and I felt warm air on the head emitting from the lights. I also want to add that both the fans of the lights are working well. I have already done the hard reset and restarted the lights via the hydra app.

Sorry for the long message but need help and guidance.

Also pls let me know if I need 1 Ai Hydra or 2 of them so I can keep one back as my back up if it’s not needed. It’s a 75 gallon longish cube. I intent to keep fish, soft corals and sps towards the top. This is an old picture. The new one has a canopy with hydras and a lot more rock work going towards the top of the aquarium.

Thanks. FE0379AA-9657-4AB9-8E35-24E0F9B0DCE2.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9493.MOV
    573.2 KB
Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello,

I have 2 ai hydra’s 32 installed in a canopy with a roughly 4 inch square cut in the canopy for heat to pass out and the light cables to go out of the canopy. It’s around 4 inches on all the 4 sides.

My lights are 1 month old. One of them flickers for a few seconds then runs normal and again after approx 3/4 minutes it flickers and then works normally like a charm. Ai hydra customer support has not yet responded which sucks.

Now pls advice if that square is fine or I need a plastic fan of some kind installed in the canopy for the lights or no need at all. Installing one will be a pain because there is live stock in my aquarium.

The aquarium I am talking about is a rimless one which looks beautiful. The only reason I installed the canopy is due to light spill because back then it was in my bedroom but now I have moved it in my hall. The mesh used to do a fine job in keeping the fish inside too.

So pls advise, if I need a fan or abandon the canopy and go rimless for the betterment of the lights. Those are really expensive lights and I don’t want to cook the lenses, Lol. I put my head inside the canopy to check on the rocks last night and I felt warm air on the head emitting from the lights. I also want to add that both the fans of the lights are working well. I have already done the hard reset and restarted the lights via the hydra app.

Sorry for the long message but need help and guidance.

Also pls let me know if I need 1 Ai Hydra or 2 of them so I can keep one back as my back up if it’s not needed. It’s a 75 gallon longish cube. I intent to keep fish, soft corals and sps towards the top. This is an old picture. The new one has a canopy with hydras and a lot more rock work going towards the top of the aquarium.

Thanks. FE0379AA-9657-4AB9-8E35-24E0F9B0DCE2.jpeg
The entire back of my canopy is open for ventilation and My orpheks all have Fans. I always have canopies and dont have issues with heat

OP
OP
R

rah_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. I actually have a small square cut at the back for air to pass. Should this be fine. It’s a 4 inch square I suppose. Pls advice.

62C25F0F-F605-4D70-BE72-D23B97853E0A.jpeg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 89 80.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back