Trying to figure out how to install Aquatic Life T5 hybrid mount in canopy

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received the 61" T5 hybrid mount from Aquatic Life for my 72" tank.

The tank has a canopy on top and I'm trying to figure out fixed mounting options as the hanging kit that was provided would result in the lights being too low to the surface (~4").

My canopy is ~3/4" thick and I was thinking I could use 4 of the Rafter Screw Hooks shown below (each is rated for 40lbs). The idea is that the fixture would set down on the hooks along each of the 18" braces on the ends. I liked the soft rubber covering and the bent end so that the fixture wouldn't move or fall off if bumped. Ultimately, I'd like to build an 80/20 mount that I could affix into the canopy.

What are the thoughts on using these rafter hooks? It seems too simple/easy/cheap to work ($8 for all 4 hooks), so I need some reassurance or concerns brought up before I start measuring and drilling into the canopy.

20240314_164946.jpg

20240314_175035.jpg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first thought would be eyelets through the top with a washer and nut securing. Then lights hung using cable from eyelet to fixture. Hard to tell exactly your situation though

OP
OP
TehBrainz

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first thought would be eyelets through the top with a washer and nut securing. Then lights hung using cable from eyelet to fixture. Hard to tell exactly your situation though
Sorry for the haphazard initial post. It made sense in my head when posting during the work day, but I live with the system so my bad on that one haha. I'll try and give better context below.

My 72 (L) x 24 (D) x 30 (H) tank has a 4 sided canopy (front, sides, and top are enclosed). The Aquatic Life fixture has an 18" bracket that is held in place by 4 screws on each side (2 per T5 fixture). The hanging cable kit that comes with the fixture is affixed to the fixtures via T-slot. It is too long at its shortest set length

20240316_210232.jpg
20240316_205752.jpg

Setting an eyelet with washer/nut and cable makes perfect sense, until I get to affixing it onto the light fixture itself. Are there off the shelf fittings for the T-slot connection? I feel like I'm being thick when trying to search, but maybe I'm just using incorrect terms.

20240316_205729.jpg
20240316_205820.jpg

My concern with the rafter hooks in my original post is that the lighting fixture will be putting pressure on the 18" bracket being held in place by the 4 screws per side. The hooks would be just to the inside of each fixture.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your canopy looks like mine. I hung my fixture using the wires through the middle canopy slat. I’ll try to take a pic. That’s one of the wires through the canopy top.

image.jpg

OP
OP
TehBrainz

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your canopy looks like mine. I hung my fixture using the wires through the middle canopy slat. I’ll try to take a pic. That’s one of the wires through the canopy top.

image.jpg
Is your cable going straight up, through the top of the canopy slat, and then wrapping around the back of the canopy? Where are you anchoring the cable?

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your cable going straight up, through the top of the canopy slat, and then wrapping around the back of the canopy? Where are you anchoring the cable?
The cable goes around the center slat then back to the light fixture.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s basically hanging around the center slat if that makes sense.

OP
OP
TehBrainz

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a few hours at the home depot (not entirely for this project!) And I think I've got it figured out.

I was able to find some hex bolts that I thought were close enough to the T-slot in the fixture, bought wing nuts, 4 eye/hook turnbuckles, eyelets, washers, and lock nuts.

I ended up having to do some minor grinding on the hex bolts to fit in the groove, but they work! Wing nuts secure them to the fixture

20240317_163736.jpg

Then, I removed the eyelet from the turnbuckle and threaded down onto the heck bolt.

20240317_163916.jpg

Finally, I put the 4 eyelets, washers, and lock nuts in the canopy at the fixture points.

20240317_185314.jpg
20240317_185301.jpg

I've ran out of time before toddler bedtime routine, but I'll remove my led fixture and get the new fixture up and hanging tonight.

This will keep my lights at the acceptable height, use the current mounting mechanism on the fixture, and have the security in the canopy I was wanting to keep at the top of the list.

Let me know your thoughts!

OP
OP
TehBrainz

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And its completely installed!

One of my bulbs arrived burned out so it'll be arriving tomorrow.

Question now is order of bulbs. I'm thinking back to front:
Blue Plus
Actinic
Coral Plus
Blue Plus

I didn't rewire the ballasts, so right now each fixture is grouped. Not sure if I should put the 2 Blue Plus lamps together so they kick on during my ramp up with my Radions. Hmmmm.

That's a problem for another day. Thank you @Jekyl and @dwest for your input!

20240317_232629.jpg

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And its completely installed!

One of my bulbs arrived burned out so it'll be arriving tomorrow.

Question now is order of bulbs. I'm thinking back to front:
Blue Plus
Actinic
Coral Plus
Blue Plus

I didn't rewire the ballasts, so right now each fixture is grouped. Not sure if I should put the 2 Blue Plus lamps together so they kick on during my ramp up with my Radions. Hmmmm.

That's a problem for another day. Thank you @Jekyl and @dwest for your input!

20240317_232629.jpg
I might steal your mounting technique if I ever change what I have. It looks nice and secure.

My experience with bulb order(I use 2 BP and 2 CP) is that it doesn’t really matter much. You’ll end up using your LEDs to control the color. Either way, good luck.

OP
OP
TehBrainz

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might steal your mounting technique if I ever change what I have. It looks nice and secure.

My experience with bulb order(I use 2 BP and 2 CP) is that it doesn’t really matter much. You’ll end up using your LEDs to control the color. Either way, good luck.
It's definitely secure. Being a rigid mount had it require true "measure twice cut once" mentality, but as long as I had the depth measurements correct, left to right had a little more "give" as the bolts on the fixture could still move as needed.

When I kicked on the lighting the wife praised the look of the tank, so I'll take that over any minor frustrations with getting it mounted!

Good to know lighting order isn't as crucial, just excited to see how the inhabitants enjoy the light! Time to start light acclimation, woohoo

OP
OP
TehBrainz

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a question about acclimation with the lights...

Since T5s are on/off should I:

A) have them on for my normal photo period and slowly ramp my radions to their normal schedule in acclimation mode?

B) have them on for partial photo period and slowly ramp radions

C) do option A but with only one fixture on for the first half of the radion acclimation schedule then the 2nd

D) forget acclimation and kick them all on (just kidding, but I'm ready for them to be on!)

E) quit over thinking it and have a beer

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the light inhabitants used to? I would try to best (but slightly lower) emulate that. Then very slowly ramp things up.

Not knowing your inhabitants I would vote for A. But I would probably ramp the LEDs slower than the acclimation mode.

IME corals adapt pretty easily to T5’s but LEDs need slower ramping.

E sounds good too.

slogan315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice job on the mount! I did something similar but used the T slot screws that came with the hanging hardware and found threaded a couplers that matched the threads. Yours came out much cleaner!

For acclimation, another approach is to slowly lengthen the t5 photoperiod and keep your radions the same. I think I started with 1 hour, then increased by 30 minutes every few days. Not that bad if you have them on a digital timer.

My limited par testing showed I added about 100 par everywhere from the t5s. 24” aquatic life with 2b+ and 2C+

OP
OP
TehBrainz

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the light inhabitants used to? I would try to best (but slightly lower) emulate that. Then very slowly ramp things up.

Not knowing your inhabitants I would vote for A. But I would probably ramp the LEDs slower than the acclimation mode.

IME corals adapt pretty easily to T5’s but LEDs need slower ramping.

E sounds good too.
My corals are used to my radions with the current schedule. I ramped them up about 20% over the course of a month, a month ago.

Pretty low risk corals at the moment, IMO. A big toadstool leather, weeping willow coral, hammer, some random zoa colonies throughout the tank, and some new frags that have been in the tank for ~2 weeks.

I think I'll start with E first too...

Nice job on the mount! I did something similar but used the T slot screws that came with the hanging hardware and found threaded a couplers that matched the threads. Yours came out much cleaner!

For acclimation, another approach is to slowly lengthen the t5 photoperiod and keep your radions the same. I think I started with 1 hour, then increased by 30 minutes every few days. Not that bad if you have them on a digital timer.

My limited par testing showed I added about 100 par everywhere from the t5s. 24” aquatic life with 2b+ and 2C+
I do have them on a timer! So that's not a bad idea either. Let's call that method B.2

I need to get par tested with my ramp up last month and the addition of the lights. I ramped based on a previous par test, but went slightly beyond what we experimented with originally. I have a par meter coming Thursday (I hope!)

slogan315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My corals are used to my radions with the current schedule. I ramped them up about 20% over the course of a month, a month ago.

Pretty low risk corals at the moment, IMO. A big toadstool leather, weeping willow coral, hammer, some random zoa colonies throughout the tank, and some new frags that have been in the tank for ~2 weeks.

I think I'll start with E first too...

I do have them on a timer! So that's not a bad idea either. Let's call that method B.2

I need to get par tested with my ramp up last month and the addition of the lights. I ramped based on a previous par test, but went slightly beyond what we experimented with originally. I have a par meter coming Thursday (I hope!)
Oh yea, with just softies and a hammer, I vote E as well.

OP
OP
TehBrainz

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost beginning to look like a build thread (I know I know I should actually put one together nearly 3 years after my tank started)

But, I digress, here is the light on the tank from last night. I REALLLY love how 1.) it looks when the canopy is opened and more importantly 2.) how it makes the tank itself look.

20240319_181120.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back