Fascinating article about conch eyes

formallydehyde

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 7, 2023
Messages
280
Reaction score
251
Location
Western New York, US
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stumbled on this really cool research article about the eyes of strawberry conchs (Conomurex luhuanus): https://doi.org/10.1242/jeb.243927

I knew they had much better vision than most other gastropods but didn't know what that meant in practical terms. Also it has one of the funniest experimental design figures I've ever seen in a paper:
A black and white figure of a conch strapped down in a beaker of water with a camera over it and a screen in front

A Conchwork Orange. ​

 
Thank you for this!

I was just down in the Keys and found a few different species while snorkeling..every time I pick one up I can't help but think about how cool their eyes really are!
 
I've got a strawberry conch, and this fact always annoys me lol. That thing's super scared of me so I can almost never see it out working. The dust my engineer goby stirs up helps a lot.
 
I've got a strawberry conch, and this fact always annoys me lol. That thing's super scared of me so I can almost never see it out working. The dust my engineer goby stirs up helps a lot.
I find mine startle if I move up to the tank quickly, but they pop out within a minute or two if I stand there calmly and don't move around a lot then they'll return to snoofing algae, sometimes with one cautious eye trained on me. I've actually gotten them to the point that I can hand feed them little nori sheets if I'm patient.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 52 34.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 23 15.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new