Fascinating Chromis Behavior

Gone Reefin’

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 22, 2025
Messages
393
Reaction score
552
Location
Illinois
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fascinating and concerning. Here is the situation. Put 6 blue green chromis in QT a month ago. Went hypo to rule out some parasite intros. For the first 2 weeks, all was great. All fish adapted to hypo well, active and eating.

2 weeks in, I noted one fish hanging in the corner. No aggression noted, just hanging there and loss of appetite. After a week, this fish passed. I chalked up to a QT loss. Important to note, up until this death, the other 5 fish were active, eating well, and overall just looked great. Immediately after death, a new member of the 5 (not the smallest), immediately began a weak appetite and hanging in the same corner as the RIP fish. By the way, I know it is not the same fish that died as the sizing is larger. This fish remained this way for a week, and perished yesterday. Other 4 looking great during this time.

You know where this is heading. Yesterday, weak fish passed. Today, a member of the 4 is not eating and in the same corner! This is extremely interesting. I know this is a known phenomenon, but it almost appears that a new member becomes relegated to the culling immediately after previous passing. Like an understood pecking order. There is not aggression that I am witnessing. Food floats by the target fish and they could eat without hostility if they wanted. Just thought I would post this fascinating observation.

PS, starting to raise salinity now, so in a week these guys will be ready for display at which point I hope the cycle breaks.
 
@Moderators please close this, inadvertent double post.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new