"Fast" but more importantly "Effective" way to cure this rock?

BradFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
60lbs of - what is "apparently", RRR - (Real Reef Rock™)

I believe it went into a reef tank as brand new, it's now with me, dry, and supposedly "dead", plenty of organic matter here, coral skeletons in places... and just, things that I don't know what they are (new to the hobby), I'm actually a bit nervous when inspecting so handling with mask and gloves, and terrified at the thought of a potential big bobbit worm crawling up my arm and into my ear ho... urghhhhhhhh shudder... anyway...

My tank is empty and has never seen water, one of the first things on my agenda is to get this rock cured and scaped to begin the cycling ASAP.

If you would be so kind as to make suggestions, with speed of curing (not speed of cycling) being the focus - what would you do? And what "can" I do, alternatively?

Thanks,
Brad

20220310_131140.jpg

20220310_131151.jpg

20220310_131201.jpg

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
60lbs of - what is "apparently", RRR - (Real Reef Rock™)

I believe it went into a reef tank as brand new, it's now with me, dry, and supposedly "dead", plenty of organic matter here, coral skeletons in places... and just, things that I don't know what they are (new to the hobby), I'm actually a bit nervous when inspecting so handling with mask and gloves, and terrified at the thought of a potential big bobbit worm crawling up my arm and into my ear ho... urghhhhhhhh shudder... anyway...

My tank is empty and has never seen water, one of the first things on my agenda is to get this rock cured and scaped to begin the cycling ASAP.

If you would be so kind as to make suggestions, with speed of curing (not speed of cycling) being the focus - what would you do? And what "can" I do, alternatively?

Thanks,
Brad

20220310_131140.jpg

20220310_131151.jpg

20220310_131201.jpg
This is some good-looking DR at this point. Rinse really well with some high-pressure hose and water, allow to dry, fill a container with new saltwater, a PH, and if not using any LR to help cure, purchase a product such as 'SEED' and allow to cure for a few months in a vessel and top off evaporation with RODI Fresh as needed. After a few months of curing empty water, add new saltwater again and, if possible, a skimmer for a few days.

Check water parameters, and hopefully, you'll be good to go.

EDIT: I'm not implying this is the only way, it's simply a method I've used for at least 20 years with positive results.

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 34.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 31.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back