fast growing coral: friend or nuisance?

Dan J

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 28, 2016
Messages
11
Reaction score
21
Location
Woodbridge VA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0436.JPG
Hi all. I've posted a pic of a volunteer coral(?) colony growing in my tank. The rocks came from Tampa Bay Saltwater and continue to reveal fun new life forms. These guys seem hardy and are growing quickly. They started on the bottom of the rock and were all white. I flipped the rock over to get them direct light and they have darkened and nearly doubled in size in 3 weeks. They seem harmless, but I'm a little worried about their rate of growth. Could this be something i should worry about taking over my tank? Thanks for any answers/thoughts. I always enjoy the responses I get on here.

Dan
 
I can't tell for sure, but it seems to be some sort of zoanthid or paly. Generally, people try to isolate them to their own rock so they don't spread all over the tank. Be careful when handling those. They may be quite poisonous.
 
Looks like a sea mat-paly which also I've heard them called sea mat anemones also. Fast growing from what I understand.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 5 33.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 20.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new