Faulty Refractometer?

Cetus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying to test out my refractometer but something strange has come up. When I test with the calibration fluid, it reads 0.3 above the 35 PPT line. No big deal, just recalibrate it right? The problem here is that I can't calibrate it any further downwards from that point. For some reason the blue just stops. But the strange thing is that the calibration screw does work. I can raise it and I even tried testing with RO/DI water just to see and the blue point does indeed go to 0 which is far below the 35 PPT line. I really don't know what's going on or if its a feature of the brand. I just want to make sure my water has the correct salinity and I'd rather not go out and buy another refractometer unless absolutely necessary. Help would be very much appreciated.

1611798767297.png
Came with the Water Changing Kit off of Saltwatertank.com

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try adding a little extra salt to a little salt water and seeing if the reading goes above the 35 line.

OP
OP
Cetus

Cetus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be a faulty refractometer or the 35ppt calibration test is bad.

how long have you had it?
A week at most. I'm just not sure what's wrong with it since it works but also doesn't. It may be the solution I'm using but that doesn't explain why I can't lower the blue line beyond a certain point which makes me think it may be intentional? Like, I can still move it down if I've moved it up, but whatever reading it gives me at first it won't allow me to go down beyond that.

Specific Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ask for refund or a new one.

I switched from the BRS refractometer to the Hanna salinity checker. Much more convenient and pretty spot on!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.6%
Back