Feather duster worm inquiry!

brandowelsh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! A couple months ago, I added a feather duster worm to my reef tank. He didn’t seem satisfied with where I placed him in the sandbed/rockwork and has since taken up residence on the underside of my scape. He has basically cemented himself to the rock and I have yet to see his plume emerge. I’m fairly confident he shed his crown within the first few weeks. It does look like it has since grown back, but I only know this because I can see it through his tube toward the end. In the picture, you can see the brownish striations. What I’m wondering though, is you can also see at the very end of his tube, it almost starts to close up. Is this normal? Will he still be able to emerge if he ever decides to do so? Would you recommend trimming the end (without trimming him, obviously)? Thanks in advance!

IMG_6782.jpeg

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
But in real seriousness, if the worm lost the crown. You'll need to provide more filter feeder foods. Seeing as a new one is growing, bothering the tube is likely to aggrovate the worm further.

That seal was built to protect. Once the worm wants to come out, it will.

OP
OP
brandowelsh

brandowelsh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I'd suggest supplemental feedings of phyto and corals foods with small particles. Does it have good flow?
I feed twice a week with a mixture of reef roids, AB+, and phyto. I can’t imagine lack of food to be the issue. As far as flow goes, he’s located in the front right corner of the scape and the both the powerhead and the pump return point in that direction to circulate flow. I’d call it medium-high flow. I’ll leave him alone and just keep checking on him periodically. Thank you again for the reply!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 74 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 60 34.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 10 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back