Feathery Brown Algae?

APC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all - I am having an issue with some brown algae in my reef. The algae kind of looks like hair algae - but not highly filamentous. It almost looks like feathers - its very dense and seems to max out at about an inch or so in length. I have tried scraping it out, pick it out, sucking it out with my water exchanger, and I can't seem to get it to go away. My tank is well established - about 7 years old. Its 250 gallons (in-wall Marine Land DD tank) with a 50 gallon sump. I am running an over sized Reef Octopus skimmer, (4) AI Hydras for lights, multiple Vortec MP40's for flow, strong return pumps. I change 10-15% of the water every week religiously using RODI and Reef Chrystals. I run carbon regularly. Everything is automated using the latest APEX controller and I also use the APEX ATK. I travel a lot for work, so this tank needs to be fool proof and for the most part it is. My tank is a mixed reef - SPS, LPS, Softies, Zoa's, Acan, etc. Fish stock is light - Yellow Tang (14+ years old), Sailfin Tang, Hippo Tang, and a mean ole cinnamon clownfish. I feed a modest amount of food 5 days a week- alternating between flake and some frozen. The tanks is not overfed. I dose regularly with BRS two part - ALK = 8, Mag = 1380, Ca = 410. Phosphate is 0 - algae is probably consuming it. I have a pretty fresh clean up crew already - snails (including a couple of turbo snails), sand sifting Seastar (over 5 years old), lots of assorted hermits, peppermint shrimp, emerald crabs. Finally I would not call this a massive outbreak - its in spots, but its hard to get rid of and I want to stop it from spreading before it gets out of hand. Any suggestions on what this is, and how to get rid of it?

Brad Miller

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like Bryopsis, but that's usually green, may be a member of the GHA family but
clear pics with white lights would help id

Last edited:

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have this same thing in my 10 gal. Does it appear on your glass? I’m trying Fluconazole today to see if it eliminates the algae entirely

OP
OP
A

APC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know if this helps? Best Pic I could get on my iPhone. Thanks!

Attachments

• Algae.pdf
    20 MB · Views: 149
OP
OP
A

APC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have this same thing in my 10 gal. Does it appear on your glass? I’m trying Fluconazole today to see if it eliminates the algae entirely
It is mostly in the deep cracks on the rocks - have not seen it on the glass at all (yet)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back