Feedback needed on 1st plumbing job. 92 bowfront. Frankenstein's Lab???

rsp919

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While being in the hobby for some time(15yrs) this is my first build from the ground up. I currently have a 155 bowfront that has been up and running for about 12yrs. I have zero experience with plumbing. Pretty much my only experience is pushing the handle to flush a toilet. Oh, and occasionally using a plunger.

Anyways, being a corner tank, real estate is at a premium even with a larger than normal stand. Everything is just mocked up. Before the "glue" hits the fan, I would appreciate any feedback before there is no turning back. If you see something I missed or should do differently please weigh in. TIA

Quick rundown
converted megaflow drain to Herbie overflow that drains into Trigger platinum 26 roller sump.
Nyos 120 skimmer with modded cup to drain into Avast skimmate locker.
Dual return pumps. internal Cor-20 feeding manifold, external Cor-15 feeding 57w UV and valve for water changes.
UV output goes to drilled return bulkhead with lockline.
Main return feeds a manifold. Manifold feeds
A. Geo's Reef carbon reactor with AquaChar carbon
B. a return to skimmer section to create flow and keep clean of detritus
C. 6 gallon corner shaped refugium that drains back to inlet bulkhead of 2nd return pump
D. Geo's Reef Cryptic With Marine Pure Biospheres
E. return to side drilled return bulkhead
20230507_172600.jpg
20230507_172026.jpg
20230507_172020.jpg
20230507_172010.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Honestly - it's difficult to make firm recommendations since it's difficult to trace what everything is going to/from. What I might suggest is that every place you have a joint, is a potential leak (and it seems you have a lot of them?). The upper chamber in the corner may be difficult to clean/access if there is an issue? Additionally - will heat be an issue? In any case, in the end it's up to you - but you asked for comments:). In general I would try (much like packing for an international trip) - to remove at least some of your plumbing? All of that said - best wishes with the new tank!!! Curious - what happened to the old plumbing/how was it done>

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. I like the color scheme what was your supplier for all your orange PVC and unions? Also what/how did you replace the nyos parts colors ? paint?

OP
OP
R

rsp919

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly - it's difficult to make firm recommendations since it's difficult to trace what everything is going to/from. What I might suggest is that every place you have a joint, is a potential leak (and it seems you have a lot of them?). The upper chamber in the corner may be difficult to clean/access if there is an issue? Additionally - will heat be an issue? In any case, in the end it's up to you - but you asked for comments:). In general I would try (much like packing for an international trip) - to remove at least some of your plumbing? All of that said - best wishes with the new tank!!! Curious - what happened to the old plumbing/how was it done>
I bought the tank used and all it had was a canister filter. There are a ton of joints like you said, but all were needed to fit everything in such a tight space. I was able to run through the wall on my other tank and built a small sump room for it. That wasn't an option on this one. While i would have loved to have a sump room in my bedroom, the wife would have vetoed that idea. The small corner tank is a pain to get to but hopefully wont require much cleaning. It is basically a place to house pods. Heat will not be an issue, only pumps are the 2 return pumps. I made the stand wider than normal and there are holes on the sides for heat to vent. Not drilled in this pic bit where all the tools are sitting has several holes for plumbing and acces to the UV bulb. Thanks, for the input.
Nice. I like the color scheme w
20230310_165922.jpg
20230310_165912.jpg

Nice. I like the color scheme what was your supplier for all your orange PVC and unions? Also what/how did you replace the nyos parts colors ? paint?
Thanks. I bought all the unions and valves from BRS. All the PVC from Formufit. The Nyos skimmer, Trigger sump and Avast locker were all painted with Plastidip. Went that route as it is easy to peel off if I didn't like the way it came out of ever decided to sell somthing.

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the tank used and all it had was a canister filter. There are a ton of joints like you said, but all were needed to fit everything in such a tight space. I was able to run through the wall on my other tank and built a small sump room for it. That wasn't an option on this one. While i would have loved to have a sump room in my bedroom, the wife would have vetoed that idea. The small corner tank is a pain to get to but hopefully wont require much cleaning. It is basically a place to house pods. Heat will not be an issue, only pumps are the 2 return pumps. I made the stand wider than normal and there are holes on the sides for heat to vent. Not drilled in this pic bit where all the tools are sitting has several holes for plumbing and acces to the UV bulb. Thanks, for the input.

20230310_165922.jpg
20230310_165912.jpg

Thanks. I bought all the unions and valves from BRS. All the PVC from Formufit. The Nyos skimmer, Trigger sump and Avast locker were all painted with Plastidip. Went that route as it is easy to peel off if I didn't like the way it came out of ever decided to sell somthing.
Thanks .. I was wondering as there are not any 1/2" colored PVC around me.

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While being in the hobby for some time(15yrs) this is my first build from the ground up. I currently have a 155 bowfront that has been up and running for about 12yrs. I have zero experience with plumbing. Pretty much my only experience is pushing the handle to flush a toilet. Oh, and occasionally using a plunger.

Anyways, being a corner tank, real estate is at a premium even with a larger than normal stand. Everything is just mocked up. Before the "glue" hits the fan, I would appreciate any feedback before there is no turning back. If you see something I missed or should do differently please weigh in. TIA

Quick rundown
converted megaflow drain to Herbie overflow that drains into Trigger platinum 26 roller sump.
Nyos 120 skimmer with modded cup to drain into Avast skimmate locker.
Dual return pumps. internal Cor-20 feeding manifold, external Cor-15 feeding 57w UV and valve for water changes.
UV output goes to drilled return bulkhead with lockline.
Main return feeds a manifold. Manifold feeds
A. Geo's Reef carbon reactor with AquaChar carbon
B. a return to skimmer section to create flow and keep clean of detritus
C. 6 gallon corner shaped refugium that drains back to inlet bulkhead of 2nd return pump
D. Geo's Reef Cryptic With Marine Pure Biospheres
E. return to side drilled return bulkhead
20230507_172600.jpg
20230507_172026.jpg
20230507_172020.jpg
20230507_172010.jpg
Well, I see where all of the Orange 45s went from BRS and Aquarium Specialty....lol You took them all...lol I just need 10...NICE job on the sump and plumbing design

OP
OP
R

rsp919

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry bout that lol. What size are you needing? I'll see what I have left over.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back