Feedback on Geo sumps

Aquarist78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently working through some upgrades in my 120 gallon tank and now focused on updating the sump. I'm curious if anyone has feedback on Geo sumps. I'm specifically looking at the SU46RD-Pro. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a champ.

As long as your hardware (mainly skimmer) that you own or plan to upgrade fit, I think it would make a great sump.

Only issue I would have is if I can't remove the media reactors from that system in case you don't want or need to run them.

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a sump over Turkey day holiday. Geosreef was very responsive to emails and my mix of questions. Plan your project as I think each sump is made to order and there could be wait times.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GEO is pretty much top of the heap so I don't think you will be disappointed atall, they came in at a close second for my own sump but decided to go with a totally custom route that GEO couldn't quite do. Don't get me wrong GEO makes 100% custom sumps but there were some things I wanted that they wouldn't do.

I know a few VERY satisfied customers I spoke to who all have GEO sumps and they all said they would never go another route. To my knowledge the reactors are 100% removable they just sit into the sump to hold them in place.

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen them in person build quality is good. Fairly turn key system. I will say I don’t like the media reactor, especially when having to use new media. Must be a real hassle to wash the media with the reactors stuck like that.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen them in person build quality is good. Fairly turn key system. I will say I don’t like the media reactor, especially when having to use new media. Must be a real hassle to wash the media with the reactors stuck like that.

Are they actually fused to the body of the sump? I was under the impression they were removable and they just sit in a hole drilled into the top of the sump to hold them

If you look at this pic they look 100% removable to me....
Screenshot_20191208-095710_Samsung Internet.jpg

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think they are fused, but pluming is part of the sump with the pump that runs the reactor. So when for example washing kit gfo, you would have to have a separate way to hook a pump up to it to wash

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think they are fused, but pluming is part of the sump with the pump that runs the reactor. So when for example washing kit gfo, you would have to have a separate way to hook a pump up to it to wash

Pretty standard reactors to me... pretty much every reactor on the market has the same setup ?

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like they can be removed if you look at the 2nd picture on the link OP posted. If the can be removed, then issue solved for me. But I'd want to be 100% sure, and I'd call GEO and ask.

MrWheelock

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn off valve, remove reactor, clean, reinstall. I have a synergy, but was giving these a really hard look. With the synergy and buying a reactor seperate I'll be close to the same price. Kinda wish i went with the geo but i didnt want to give up space and had a slightly different plan thay the synergy was a perfect match for.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think you fully understand what I’m saying. It’s a nice set up. Hope it works out for you

No, I'm certainly not understanding what you're getting at but would like to know. Rinsing media in these would be the same as it would be for any other major reactor on the market. So I was hoping for the clarification as to why you feel these would be somehow worse?

MrWheelock

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh yes I see, you could solve that with another half of a QD and a barb fitting with some tubing

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh yes I see, you could solve that with another half of a QD and a barb fitting with some tubing

My thoughts exactly, but this isn't any different than pretty much every quality reactor on the market with the same design.

MrWheelock

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts exactly, but this isn't any different than pretty much every quality reactor on the market save for a couple.
I think what he is getting at is that it is hard plumbed and doesnt have its own dedicated pumps, both of which I find appealing, but do pose their own challenges if you are used to doing reactor maintenance completly out of the sump.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think what he is getting at is that it is hard plumbed and doesnt have its own dedicated pumps, both of which I find appealing, but do pose their own challenges if you are used to doing reactor maintenance completly out of the sump.

Oh I see now, well that's an easy fix, one could certainly add a pump to each one individually easy enough. I guess I just didn't see the big deal of it, whenever I replaced my reactors media (Similar deisgn) I would just use WC water from a bucket and my WC pump with a union attached to it to rinse the media. Super easy to do... and something I'm used to so I think that's where the miscommunication was...

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reactor is removable. Watch the YouTube videos on the product page, or go to YouTube and look at their channel.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Geo 24 R all in white, a 15" cube Bashea and I just bought a 46"Fiji sump. I do not want socks, and I want to run Avast Spy Glass Reactors.

OP
OP
Aquarist78

Aquarist78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great feedback from the group. Much appreciated! I'll definitely give Geo a call prior to pulling the trigger.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back