Feeding 2 new clowns

Rxb09a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently just put two clowns in my tank and they are the only fish I have in the tank at this time. I have had them in the tank for 3 days now. I did not attempt to feed them the day they were introduced into the tank. However I have been trying to feed them ocean nutrition prime reef flakes. One clown will eat them but the other seems to spit it out. Should I try a different food or give it a few more days? If so what food should I try?

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they don't eat after a couple of days I would switch to frozen foods with a little garlic added to them.

OP
OP
R

Rxb09a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would give it some another day or two. How large are the clowns? Have you tried any frozen?
I haven’t tried frozen yet. I would like to avoid frozen if possible but if that’s all they want to eat I don’t mind doing it. Just for convenience I would rather dry food.

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always ween them off frozen right away as well if thats all the one ends up eating.

Mine would only eat mysis at first, and i just started mixing in flakes and pellets and after a few days they were gobbling it up.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always ween them off frozen right away as well if thats all the one ends up eating.

Mine would only eat mysis at first, and i just started mixing in flakes and pellets and after a few days they were gobbling it up.

^ Exactly.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why no frozen? Get yourself some LRS Reef Frenzy Nano, they will both eat it for sure. My new wild perc pair get their faces stuffed with it three times a day. They can't get enough and eat right from the end of the pipette. Even when I stick a pipette in to get a water sample they hit it like great whites.

OP
OP
R

Rxb09a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why no frozen? Get yourself some LRS Reef Frenzy Nano, they will both eat it for sure. My new wild perc pair get their faces stuffed with it three times a day. They can't get enough and eat right from the end of the pipette. Even when I stick a pipette in to get a water sample they hit it like great whites.
I am going to get some frozen food today from my lfs. I hope they will both eat it with no issues.

mjlash22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried pellets when I first introduced my clowns and same thing. One would nibble but they really didnt eat any of it overall at it just sat at the bottom. Good for the cleanup crew, bad for the fish not eating. I've been feeding all my fish mysis shirmp (frozen and flake) for years with no issues.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back