Feeding clownfish

valley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I just bought a pair of ocellaris that are about 3 inches. I have them in a Fluval Evo 13.5 and I’ve been feeding them prime reef flakes until they get full, twice a day. Am I over feeding?

I am assuming that the fish is full when it eats a flake and spits it out. The male doesn’t eat nearly as much as the female and doesn’t ever get ‘full’. They were being fed frozen food at the store so im thinking about getting LRS Reef Frenzy. I know that over feeding frozen food isn’t as bad as over feeding flakes or pellets. I’m just wondering how would I portion frozen food for this small tank?

I’m running chemipure elite and I have 3 blue legged hermit crabs, a tuxedo urchin, and a small unhosted bta. I’m assuming that the bta eats some of the small leftovers and the hermit crabs eat the flakes that fall onto the sandbed. The crabs are pretty flow at eating it though so should I maybe add something like a small conch?

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a 13.5 evo too. I fed my 2 clowns ab a quarter of a cube of hikari mysis and some days would substitute it with a small pinch of tdo pellets. That was plenty for my clowns. You don’t want to overfeed especially in a tank that size because it will cause a nutrients spike.

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
now I feed my fish ab 3 times a day once with half a cube of hikari mysis and 2 times with a bit of tdo pellets. I have 6 fish now tho in a bigger tank.

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish can eat a lot but you don’t want extra food to sink to the ground and not get eaten because it will decay and cause nutrients then causing algae outbreak I learned from experience lol.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a saying, "a fat fish is a healthy fish". So, the only concern you should have is overfeeding the tank, causing a nutrient spike.

Frozen food doesn't cause as much of a concern of a nutrient spike as pellets/flakes do, but the concern is still there.

Generally, for the first few days to week, you try to figure out how much your clowns will eat. This usually takes around 2 minutes, so at around that time, whatever amount of food they ate, feed that 1-2 times a day.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 61 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back