Feeding corals - should I do it and how?

acshaw80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there-

I have put together a 50g tank I’m really happy with over the last year and a half. Right now I have the following:

-Various Zoas
-Various cloves
-Cherry red goniopora
-montipora setosa
-birds nest
-Bubble gum digitata
-Oregon blue acro
-Maze brain coral
-Maleficent acro
-Frogspawn
-Unknown blasto
-GSP
-Various shrooms
-Mini maxi anemone
-blue sponge (on this whole list this is the only one that really hasn’t grown much and perhaps shrank)

In the past, I’ve fed my corals weekly but after doing some additional reading I find myself wondering if I really need to feed them as much as I am since most of these are primarily photosynthetic.

my question…based on the above list - I think there are only 2 that need regular feeding - blue sponge and goni:

Do you agree? If so would it be ok to broadcast feed a few drops of coral food 2-3 times a week or should I give a more concentrated target feed each week? I know some people target feed and others broadcast feed. My thought is that broadcast feeding would be easier and perhaps cause less of a nitrate spike if I just add a few drops of coral food every few day instead of target feeding what is probably more food in each serving.

Love to hear your thoughts on how you would approach this!

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there-

I have put together a 50g tank I’m really happy with over the last year and a half. Right now I have the following:

-Various Zoas
-Various cloves
-Cherry red goniopora
-montipora setosa
-birds nest
-Bubble gum digitata
-Oregon blue acro
-Maze brain coral
-Maleficent acro
-Frogspawn
-Unknown blasto
-GSP
-Various shrooms
-Mini maxi anemone
-blue sponge (on this whole list this is the only one that really hasn’t grown much and perhaps shrank)

In the past, I’ve fed my corals weekly but after doing some additional reading I find myself wondering if I really need to feed them as much as I am since most of these are primarily photosynthetic.

my question…based on the above list - I think there are only 2 that need regular feeding - blue sponge and goni:

Do you agree? If so would it be ok to broadcast feed a few drops of coral food 2-3 times a week or should I give a more concentrated target feed each week? I know some people target feed and others broadcast feed. My thought is that broadcast feeding would be easier and perhaps cause less of a nitrate spike if I just add a few drops of coral food every few day instead of target feeding what is probably more food in each serving.

Love to hear your thoughts on how you would approach this!
Run the experiment.
A few months ago,, I started live phyto every day with something else, acro power, marine snow, Oyster eggs, frozen rotifers etc. Better polyp extension.
Try your plan, you'll learn something.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I broadcast feed. I don't know if I'm helping them, but I like the feeding response so it's at least entertainment for me. :cool:

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you want to spot feed the goni and sponge would LOVE phytoplankton. If you want to broadcast feed you should look into PNS products like probio as it is a food for filter feeders and the bacteria helps to remove ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate :)

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be very cautious and keep very good notes so you can see how corals react long term. It would probably be a good idea to take a months worth of notes before feeding to have some kind of benchmark. Corals can have very specific requirements when feeding particulate foods and it may not be beneficial for species/genotypes that feed primarily of inorganic dissolved nitrogen and phosphorus. See these links for more info:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 30.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back