Need expert advice on proper feeding.

PaNoob

View Badges
Reaction score
Schuylkill County, Anthracite coal region
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks. Long time reader first time poster. This is a bit long but I want to paint a clear picture.
Looking for expert advice on what, how much and how often to feed my tank.
I'm running a 36 gallon corner tank on a Fluval 205 canister. 34 lbs live rock and 1-1/4 in deep sandbed. Tank is 3 yrs old.

Tank inhabitants:
Fish:
1- Unicorn Tang approx 6.5 in
1- Green spotted Puffer 3 in
2- Engineer Goby's 1-7 in long, other 6- long. (Look more like snakes)
2- Clown fish. 1-3 in. other 2.5 in.
1- Green Chromis. 2- in.
1- Blue Devil Damsel. 1- in
1- Watchman Goby. 2.5 in
Coral:
1- Palythoa Grandis. 20 polyps
1- Orange Mushroom. 2 in diameter
Cuc:
Approx 12 hermits (various sizes)
Approx 12 snails all about 1- 1.5 cm

Note: To address any potential concerns regarding overstocked tank, I'll be moving Tang and Puffer over in about a month to a new 125 gal currently under construction.

The feeding schedule below is a result of seeing my wife do a daily feeding and thinking, " That's way too much.) New feeding regiment below is half of what was being fed prior to reset. She thinks it's too little.

My current feeding consist of once per day:
1- pinch of algae flakes
1/4- Cube of Frozen Mysis
1/4- Cube of Spirulina or Blood worms
1- Clam for Puffer

Week ago had to do a total tank reset due to Hair algae and vermited snail infestation. Embarrassed to say it was primarily caused from lack of diligence as a caretaker. Moved fish, Coral and live rock to temporary holding tank with filtration.
Removed entire sandbed and discarded.
Thoroughly cleaned tank. Installed new aragonite sand, carefully brushed off all algae from rock and removed all vermited snails. Put cleaned rock, coral and fish back in and cleaned filter. Cleaned sponge filters, replaced filter floss, rinsed matrix with fresh saltwater. Replaced carbon and added GFO for first time.

Phosphates are slowly dropping. Started at .003. After 1st week and 60% water change phos at 0.02
Nitrates are rising at a rate of approx 1.5 per day. Started at 2.6 After 1st week 50% water change down to 6.0.

I want to get this feeding thing right. So many mixed messages regarding overfeeding and underfeeding. My wife does the daily feeding and constantly has anxiety over the poor fishys looking so hungry, lol.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep feeding at the regular rate and get the 120 on line asap. Dropping that much food in a 35 gallon box isn't going to be such an issue for water quality when you expand into the larger tank.

But I might not feed the puffer the clam each day? I would let it pick at the other food bits and put a clam in 2x/week? I like to feed my aquarium fish very lightly to minimize water pollution but lots of people feed way more than I do. Makes the tank green.

BTW, my wife used to feed our fish tank way too much food when i was away but now she can't remember that she needs to feed them, or how much so they don't eat as much when I am traveling but they all survive just fine, either way.

Upvote 0

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d be feeding 9 fish, 2 cubes once a day. You don’t have any “multi-feeding-daily” fish like Anthias, Copperbanded Butterfly fish. etc. Your pinch of flake food is a bit vague as it could be a very small pinch or a very large pinch. Clownfish are usually a good indicator as they tend to show starvation better than other fish. Good luck.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 86 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back