Help!!! Expert advice needed of feeding.

PaNoob

View Badges
Reaction score
Schuylkill County, Anthracite coal region
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All!! Just set up an account. Long time reader but first time poster.
Ok, so I have a 36 gallon corner tank being run on a Fluval 205 canister. Just recently cleaned and reset tank with new sandbed. Nitrates, Phosphates, Green Hair Algae and vermited snails were outta control. Starting fresh. I've been running tank for 3 yrs with up and down success and scouring forums and youtube along the way.

I really need to nail down proper feeding.
My wife does the daily feeding and I believe it's too much. She suffers from anxiety in her belief that the poor fishys are still hungry, lol.
Í ,on the other hand, do all the tank testing, water chemistry calculations and maintenance and think it was way too much.
So, I'm seeking expert help on what, how much and how often we feed the tank.

Inhabitants:
Fish:
1- 7 in. Unicorn Tang
1- 3.5 Green Spotted Puffer
2- Engineer Goby's 7 in long and 6 in. Long
Look more like snakes than fish
2- Clown Fish. Female 3.in. Male 2.5 in
1- 2.5 in. Watchman Goby
1- 2 in. Green Chromis
1- 1 in. Blue Devil Damsel
Coral:
Palythoa Grandis about 20 polyps
Orange Mushroom 2 in. Diameter
CUC
12- assorted hermit crabs 1- 1.5 cm
12- assorted snails around 1 -1.5 cm

Current Feeding Schedule once per day.
Pinch of algae pellets
1/4 cube Frozen Mysis
1/4 cube Spirulina or Bloodworms alternating daily
1 clam on half shell for puffer

After tank issues and reset we agreed on the above feeding schedule which, accept for the clam, is actually one half of her previous daily feedings. We've been on this schedule for a week now and no issues so far.

I'm humbly requesting any modifications and/or recommendations from all you seasoned reefers out there.

NOTE: To address any concerns about overstocked tank. We are currently in the process (about a month away) of setting up a 125 gal w sump and will be moving the Unicorn Tang and the Puffer.

coralboi56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guy you're definitely underfeeding the tank. If it were my tank, I would be feeding TWICE a day at minimum. With your foods, I would feed a unique schedule.

For the first feeding:
1 cube mysis
1 cube spirullina
1 clam for puffer
PInch of algae pellets

The second feeding:
1 cube mysis
1 cube blood worms

Keep in mind, Most of your fish would love an algae sheet or two as well :winking-face:

Also, think about feeding a type of pellets. Pellets have a lot of nutrition. I personally feed my 7g two types of pellets: BRS Golden Pearls and Nyos Goji Berry pellets

Most aquarists recommend feeding 2-3x daily. I feed 2x but then again, I only have 3 fish so I can easily track if everyone eats.

But also, make sure you have the right media in your filtration to handle the heavier feeding

Upvote 0

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please rehome that tang. That is a 2 foot long active fish. It needs 360 gallons not 36.
Also feeding massive fish is of course going to get your nutrients out of wack if your tank isn’t that big.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really should not have that tang in that size tank, it’s far too small.

My feeling on feeding is that better to feed small amounts often. I feed small amounts 4 or 5 times a day. Fish poop is healthy for a system but uneaten food fuels algae and dirties the water

Upvote 1
OP
OP
PaNoob

PaNoob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly, Thank you for the replies. The tang, at the moment, is 6.5 to 7 inches snout to tail. As I mentioned, he and the Puffer are being moved in a month to a 125 gal tank w sump. The tang, Bruce, is our tanks first fish and has survived from size of a quarter. In fact his growth is what prompted us to get a 125 gal additional tank in the first place.
Our fish, corals and CUC has been unchanged for the past 4 months and all the fish have been healthy and growing steadily. What I don't get is this. Up until the major tank reset (1 week ago), they were being fed:
Pinch of Algae pellets
1/2 cube Frozen Mysis
1/2 cube Frozen Spirulina or Bloodworms alt daily
1 clam on half shell for Puffer

So bearing that in mind, if the feeding had been so far under the proper amount as has been suggested, then why have the inhabitants thrived and grown so well for so long under those conditions?

What am I not understanding?
I had been dealing with nitrates that just keep climbing under those conditions even with weekly 50% water changes. I assumed that this is what caused the green hair and vermited snail infestations. I can't imagine what they'd be like if I were feeding 3x that amount.

Upvote 0

coralboi56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly, Thank you for the replies. The tang, at the moment, is 6.5 to 7 inches snout to tail. As I mentioned, he and the Puffer are being moved in a month to a 125 gal tank w sump. The tang, Bruce, is our tanks first fish and has survived from size of a quarter. In fact his growth is what prompted us to get a 125 gal additional tank in the first place.
Our fish, corals and CUC has been unchanged for the past 4 months and all the fish have been healthy and growing steadily. What I don't get is this. Up until the major tank reset (1 week ago), they were being fed:
Pinch of Algae pellets
1/2 cube Frozen Mysis
1/2 cube Frozen Spirulina or Bloodworms alt daily
1 clam on half shell for Puffer

So bearing that in mind, if the feeding had been so far under the proper amount as has been suggested, then why have the inhabitants thrived and grown so well for so long under those conditions?

What am I not understanding?
I had been dealing with nitrates that just keep climbing under those conditions even with weekly 50% water changes. I assumed that this is what caused the green hair and vermited snail infestations. I can't imagine what they'd be like if I were feeding 3x that amount.
1. A tang that size and that species honestly needs AT LEAST 180g. Unicorn tangs are one of the biggest tangs in the hobby
2. A growing fish doesn't always mean a thriving fish
3. Hair algae likes higher phosphate than nitrate usually (i.e. you probably have a high amount of hair algae due to high phosphate)
4. As for the vermatid snails, I would fight them with nature (aka get some bumblebee snails)

Upvote 1
OP
OP
PaNoob

PaNoob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guy you're definitely underfeeding the tank. If it were my tank, I would be feeding TWICE a day at minimum. With your foods, I would feed a unique schedule.

For the first feeding:
1 cube mysis
1 cube spirullina
1 clam for puffer
PInch of algae pellets

The second feeding:
1 cube mysis
1 cube blood worms

Keep in mind, Most of your fish would love an algae sheet or two as well :winking-face:

Also, think about feeding a type of pellets. Pellets have a lot of nutrition. I personally feed my 7g two types of pellets: BRS Golden Pearls and Nyos Goji Berry pellets

Most aquarists recommend feeding 2-3x daily. I feed 2x but then again, I only have 3 fish so I can easily track if everyone eats.

But also, make sure you have the right media in your filtration to handle the heavier feeding
Thank you kindly for your input Coralboi56. Greatly appreciated.
So are you saying that I should be feeding 4x the amount?
More importantly, wouldn't that cause my nitrates to rise 4x faster?
If yes, how can I possibly keep up with nitrate export?
Thanks again

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PaNoob

PaNoob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. A tang that size and that species honestly needs AT LEAST 180g. Unicorn tangs are one of the biggest tangs in the hobby
2. A growing fish doesn't always mean a thriving fish
3. Hair algae likes higher phosphate than nitrate usually (i.e. you probably have a high amount of hair algae due to high phosphate)
4. As for the vermatid snails, I would fight them with nature (aka get some bumblebee snails)
So, after the reset I began using GFO for the first time and it appears to be working well.
Are you saying that I need not be so concerned about the nitrates?
Also, I just ordered 8 bumble bee snails after doing research. And I was extremely diligent in pulverizing all the vermited snails from every nook and cranny on every piece of live rock and equipment. Those buggers were everywhere.

Upvote 0

coralboi56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you kindly for your input Coralboi56. Greatly appreciated.
So are you saying that I should be feeding 4x the amount?
More importantly, wouldn't that cause my nitrates to rise 4x faster?
If yes, how can I possibly keep up with nitrate export?
Thanks again
Nitrates only appear if there's uneaten food, which if that's the case, here are a few things you can do.

1. Add more CUC. You only have 24 members of a CUC in a 36 gal tank. Most people subscribe to the rule of 1 per gallon, meaning you have 12 members you can add. And I would suggest adding Nessarius snails for them. Nessarius absolutely LOVE dead shrimp like mysis and will come out of the sand to eat them.

2. If nitrates continue to be a problem, you can always carbon dose. Carbon dosing will majorly bring down nitrates and also help with phosphates. I like using Red Seas NoPoX for carbon dosing, but keep in mind if it's your first time using it, DOSE HALF OF THE SUGGESTED AMOUNT FIRST. NoPoX is aggressive and can actually strip oxygen from the tnak, leaving a tank of dead fishies :(

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello All!! Just set up an account. Long time reader but first time poster.
Ok, so I have a 36 gallon corner tank being run on a Fluval 205 canister. Just recently cleaned and reset tank with new sandbed. Nitrates, Phosphates, Green Hair Algae and vermited snails were outta control. Starting fresh. I've been running tank for 3 yrs with up and down success and scouring forums and youtube along the way.

I really need to nail down proper feeding.
My wife does the daily feeding and I believe it's too much. She suffers from anxiety in her belief that the poor fishys are still hungry, lol.
Í ,on the other hand, do all the tank testing, water chemistry calculations and maintenance and think it was way too much.
So, I'm seeking expert help on what, how much and how often we feed the tank.

Inhabitants:
Fish:
1- 7 in. Unicorn Tang
1- 3.5 Green Spotted Puffer
2- Engineer Goby's 7 in long and 6 in. Long
Look more like snakes than fish
2- Clown Fish. Female 3.in. Male 2.5 in
1- 2.5 in. Watchman Goby
1- 2 in. Green Chromis
1- 1 in. Blue Devil Damsel
Coral:
Palythoa Grandis about 20 polyps
Orange Mushroom 2 in. Diameter
CUC
12- assorted hermit crabs 1- 1.5 cm
12- assorted snails around 1 -1.5 cm

Current Feeding Schedule once per day.
Pinch of algae pellets
1/4 cube Frozen Mysis
1/4 cube Spirulina or Bloodworms alternating daily
1 clam on half shell for puffer

After tank issues and reset we agreed on the above feeding schedule which, accept for the clam, is actually one half of her previous daily feedings. We've been on this schedule for a week now and no issues so far.

I'm humbly requesting any modifications and/or recommendations from all you seasoned reefers out there.

NOTE: To address any concerns about overstocked tank. We are currently in the process (about a month away) of setting up a 125 gal w sump and will be moving the Unicorn Tang and the Puffer.
Feed what they can consume within 2 minutes. Its easier to add food than to remove it.
based on the fish listed, good and nutritious foods are:
LRS Fish Frenzy
Hikari chopped krill
Hikari marine cuisine
Spirulina brine shrimp
Mysis shrimp
TDO pellets

Upvote 0

coralboi56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, after the reset I began using GFO for the first time and it appears to be working well.
Are you saying that I need not be so concerned about the nitrates?
Also, I just ordered 8 bumble bee snails after doing research. And I was extremely diligent in pulverizing all the vermited snails from every nook and cranny on every piece of live rock and equipment. Those buggers were everywhere.
I would only be concerned with nitrates when it's cut clear it's causing a problem in the tank. I've heard of plenty of tanks thriving at 2 ppm as well as 150ppm

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PaNoob

PaNoob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would only be concerned with nitrates when it's cut clear it's causing a problem in the tank. I've heard of plenty of tanks thriving at 2 ppm as well as 150ppm
Ok. I get your take on not being so obsessed with nitrates. So, if I up feeding, change filter media more often, keep running GFO and tank inhabitants appear happy, at what max nitrate number do I start panicking?

Upvote 0

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your fish were doing well with your previous amount of feedIng, then why change a winning formula ? Are your fish fat and healthy ? Can we see pictures of them ?

Then if your nitrates are creeping up, then find a way to decrease them without affecting your fish feeding.

Upvote 0

coralboi56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I get your take on not being so obsessed with nitrates. So, if I up feeding, change filter media more often, keep running GFO and tank inhabitants appear happy, at what max nitrate number do I start panicking?
If everything is stable, I wouldn't worry too much about it. But one common problem that can come from high nitrates is cyano bacteria so keep an eye out for that

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PaNoob

PaNoob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your fish were doing well with your previous amount of feedIng, then why change a winning formula ? Are your fish fat and healthy ? Can we see pictures of them ?

Then if your nitrates are creeping up, then find a way to decrease them without affecting your fish feeding.
IMG_20240225_221952995_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240225_222028494_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240225_222039014.jpg
IMG_20240225_221949323_HDR.jpg

Here are a few pics as requested.

The hair algae and brown sandbed was the reason for the reset. I made the assumption, erroneous though it may have been, that over feeding caused the nitrates and phosphates to rise uncontrollably and thus caused the other issues.

Upvote 0

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20240225_221952995_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240225_222028494_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240225_222039014.jpg
IMG_20240225_221949323_HDR.jpg

Here are a few pics as requested.

The hair algae and brown sandbed was the reason for the reset. I made the assumption, erroneous though it may have been, that over feeding caused the nitrates and phosphates to rise uncontrollably and thus caused the other issues.
Pics are blurry but the fish don’t look thin or too fat. I think your previous regimen was fine.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 145 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back