Feeding Frequency

Slapp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I’m looking into keeping some seahorses. (In the far future not next week.)
I see that people recommend frequent (2-3 a day) feedings because seahorses don’t have stomachs. How would I accomplish this if me and my husband both work? One before we leave for work, and then one after? Is it alright to feed with the lights off?

If I get a big tank and let lots of copepods, amphipods, etc. breed will they be able to only be fed once a day? (Like dragonets?)

I have a nice big 120 gallon with all the bells and whistles ready and waiting in my basement. I was gonna make a clown harem, but then I went to the GA aquarium and saw the seahorse tank. Instantly fell in love. (My husband too) I’d just be worried about reliably being able to feed during work days, as I’m a theatre teacher with long rehearsals some days.

Any input is great!
(Also, what macroalgaes are the best? I know they like grabbing on and stuff, but I want to get a nice mix of different ones. Not just the easy ones, I want a little bit of challenge.)

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.mov
    21.4 MB

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there! I would recommend feeding at least 2-3 times a day. You could a feeding in the morning and at night. A tank with pods will be great, but to have enough as a steady force would require having a way to raise them. Seahorses have voracious appetites since they have a feeding tube as opposed to a stomach.

My favorite macro algae is dragon’s breath.

SaltBabies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look you can feed 2x a day no problem.
Feed before work and after.
Lights off would be bad.
I feed at 7:30 before work and 5 pm after work when I have to go to the office.

Copepods and amphipods probably won't breed fast enough. My seahorses don't seem to pay attention to the copepods. They love amphipods. They also love ghost shrimp. I give those as treats.

But here's a secret. They can do with once a day too. There have been times due to nutrient issues I've fed once a day. They were ok and even bred. I wouldn't recommend once a day for long periods of time cause you want to eat more than once a day too right.

When feeding once a day make sure they get a nice big serving. The easiest
way I've found to do that. Turn off the pumps. Feed generously and then vacuum any left overs up after about 20 minutes. You'll soon get to where you know how much they would like to eat and have little left over. But still important to get the extras back out. I use an enhiem vacuum to do that.

If you feed before work, before breakfast for you. then go about getting ready by the time you are ready for work they are done with their breakfast. Then feed when you get home.

Then feed when you get back home. I run light 14 hours a day. so plenty of time to feed twice. You don't work 7 days a week so you can easily feed 2x a day for several days a week.

SantaMonica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding the the short GI tract limits how much they can eat/store at one time. So ongoing or continuous feeding is best.

If your big tank is mature with lots of periphyton on the rocks, and you don't mechanically filter the water, you can start with one small horse and see how often he eats on his own, and if after a few months he never stops, you can add a second one. All without needing to manually feed.

SaltBabies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding the the short GI tract limits how much they can eat/store at one time. So ongoing or continuous feeding is best.

If your big tank is mature with lots of periphyton on the rocks, and you don't mechanically filter the water, you can start with one small horse and see how often he eats on his own, and if after a few months he never stops, you can add a second one. All without needing to manually feed.
Seahorses eat a lot. You can not expect not to feed one.

OP please do not try this.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back