Feeding fruit flies?

HockeyRooster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had to buy a (smelly) tub if wingless fruit flies. I have a couple of tiny newts that might be eating these but they will never get through the container before the flies die.

So, I’d like to know if it’s okay to try and feed them to my fish ( foxface, clowns, cleaner wrasse, banggai Cardinal, file fish).

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i tried keeping newts my whole life and they just wouldnt make it, wouldnt eat. always tried the newt pellets but they'd never take, i considered them hard to feed

but i once saw someone's setup who had no trouble at all, in fact his grew so large they looked ugly lol like monster firebellies and I couldnt figure out how they ate so well, such protein

all he ever did was thaw out bloodworms, skewer them on a stick and twist them a little in front of the newt and they attack. after a few rounds they attack the partial cube of blood worms and eat fully where you just set the cube in mostly thawed and they go after it. thought I'd offer the best newt feeding trick I'd ever seen. far more efficient than ff

OP
OP
H

HockeyRooster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i tried keeping newts my whole life and they just wouldnt make it, wouldnt eat. always tried the newt pellets but they'd never take, i considered them hard to feed

but i once saw someone's setup who had no trouble at all, in fact his grew so large they looked ugly lol like monster firebellies and I couldnt figure out how they ate so well, such protein

all he ever did was thaw out bloodworms, skewer them on a stick and twist them a little in front of the newt and they attack. after a few rounds they attack the partial cube of blood worms and eat fully where you just set the cube in mostly thawed and they go after it. thought I'd offer the best newt feeding trick I'd ever seen. far more efficient than ff

I had them as a kid where you could buy them for $10 and they’d be 2-3” long. Not anymore! Can’t import salamanders to Canada so we bought captive bred. Little did I know they were so small when we got them you could barely see them in a plastic dish. They’ve grown to about 1/2” long (body) and lost their external gills. That means they need to live on land for a couple of years ( b/c they are freakin prone to drowning at this age!!!). And they won’t eat frozen bloodworms. So I’m cultivating grindall worms and trying to keep them alive with the fruit flies until the worms are ready to eat. They are adorable though.

AA1F9727-E52C-4346-A9D9-75361208AA89.jpeg

Wonger77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had the opposite problem.

My mom bought me a fire belly newt when I was 6 years old and a fire belly toad a year later when I was 7 years old. We had them in a 10 gallon tank with some rocks and Anacharis plants. We fed them black worms every few days. I used to get the worms for $0.50 for 1 oz every week from the LFS. We kept the water only a few inches deep and changed the water/cleaned the tank every 1.5-2 months. To be honest, the water got pretty nasty.

But to cut to the chase, they lived happily together and were friends (the newt would actually climbed on top of the toad for hours) for 26 years. The toad died after 26 years and the newt died a year after. When I left for college, my mom took care of them for like 10+ years. They were pretty low maintenance and tolerated minimal care. I later googled it and some sources say that the fire belly toads live around 30 years and the fire belly newts could live up to 60 years. Crazy

I had tried to keep a few other newts with them over the years (eastern newts, emperor newt), but they would only last a few months - 2 years.

I also had a bullfrog tadpole with them (when you could find them at pet stores) when I first bought them, but it escaped when it got legs. I later found it in my dog's water bowl and released it. Luckily they are indigenous to my area.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey that is neat I would have enjoyed being able to house them half that long that is very fun!

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a fly culture for the dart frogs. To "freshen" a culture, prepare a deli cup with more fly food (plenty of brands to choose from and many DIY from potato flakes and stuff most people have in the pantry) and substrate (I use wood wool), tap some adult flies in, and by the time you're out of the flies from the first culture, the next one is ready to go! Never need to buy flies again.

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had one fall into the firefish QT this afternoon and Mortimer grabbed it, spat it out, and Triss just looked offended that it was there at all. Siphoned it out with their water change. Probably wouldn't have even noticed if not for this thread! XD

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back