Feeding softies for growth?

catfishblues

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 12, 2018
Messages
129
Reaction score
182
Location
California
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone here target feed their photosynthetic softies (sinularia, toadstool, gorgonian, zoas ect)? If you do have you noticed an increase in growth or color or anything? Or just a waste of food?
 
I dust my tank with reef roids and my Green Nephthea leather coral has always seemed to enjoy it the most. It also is the fastest growing thing in my tank!
 
I have experimented with it and have never noticed a difference in my leathers. Certain zoas seemed to appreciate it and the gorgonians definitely benefit from it.
 
I see difference in growth for sure, esp gorgonians. Leathers are hard to tell - they grow so wonky and awesome + have some interesting control of their size and stretch.

Generally I'm of the mindset that things with mouths like to be fed.

I don't usually target though - I offer a variety of particle sizes and do heavy broadcasts 1-4x per day with the return off and wavemaker on (keep things suspended longer, and all my fish/inverts are pigs).
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new