Results are only viewable after voting.

Struggler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I plan on ordering some captive bred blue mandarins, but I only want to add one at a time so the pod population won't be wiped out, but I ultimately want a pair. Would it be better for me to get a male first or a female first? Does it matter?

Thanks!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your system can either support 2 mandarins or it can't. Regardless of whether you add them 1 at a time or simultaneously your system will eventually need to support them both.

That being said, the optimal situation is to add them simultaneously. I've seen established female behave aggressively to new males and vice vers. However, I have also seen established females accept new males and vice versa. But if you still plan on adding one before the other, then adding the female first is probably safer than adding the male first.

OP
OP
Struggler

Struggler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You make an interesting point @eatbreakfast , I am just not confident in my pod population. I have added pods multiple times to my refugium and have not been able to notice them after a few days. I currently don't believe I have anything in my tank that is eating them. I have a 90 gallon started with dry rock and live sand. I have checked for them by using a red light at night. I also have been dosing phytoplankton every time I add a new order of pods for at least a week.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Mandarin. The male is slightly nicer than female. Coloration is about the same but the elongated spike make they look nicer. Also male Mandarin tend to display more. In AM and PM daily male Mandarin tend to spread their fins and display. I don't see this with female Mandarin.
Almost all the time, female Mandarin will not accept a male that is smaller than she is. Every time I tried to pair smaller male with larger female, she will chase him until I separate them.

What are the fishes that you have in your 90 gal tank and how long have it been up?

If you have a choice, add male first. IMO, male is better if you just keep one. You then need to look for a smaller female if and when you want a pair.
This is what I mean by display.
Mandarin2018071208.jpg
Mandarin2018071204.jpg

OP
OP
Struggler

Struggler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has the tank been setup and what is are the inhabitants?

The tank has been set up for about 7 months. It has a lawnmower goby, neon blue goby, Fox face, Fox face lo, tomini tang, chromis, two clownfish, cleaner shrimp, and as of yesterday a Melanurus wrasse.

OP
OP
Struggler

Struggler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Mandarin. The male is slightly nicer than female. Coloration is about the same but the elongated spike make they look nicer. Also male Mandarin tend to display more. In AM and PM daily male Mandarin tend to spread their fins and display. I don't see this with female Mandarin.
Almost all the time, female Mandarin will not accept a male that is smaller than she is. Every time I tried to pair smaller male with larger female, she will chase him until I separate them.

What are the fishes that you have in your 90 gal tank and how long have it been up?

If you have a choice, add male first. IMO, male is better if you just keep one. You then need to look for a smaller female if and when you want a pair.
This is what I mean by display.
Mandarin2018071208.jpg
Mandarin2018071204.jpg

Good points I think I shall get a male first. I have a two clowns, one chromis, one foxface, one Fox face lo, a lawnmower goby, neon goby, and tomini tang, and as of yesterday a melanurus wrasse

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melanurus wrasse is a very efficient Hunter and will really put a dent on the pod’s population. My Melanurus, a little one 1.5 inch, really pick on the rock and glass wall to eat up the pods in my tank.

Yes they are. Mine is still a juvie (although closer to 3 inches) and it is constantly hunting for pods. The problem with mandarins is that even if they learn to eat frozen their tank mates will beat them to the punch on pretty much any kind of food that they will eat. Unless the OP had a much larger tank, I wouldn't feel comfortable keeping a Mandy and a Melanurus Wrasse in the same tank, since the Mandy will starve.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start a Reef Nutrition Tigger Pod colony outside of your tank. Watch my videos on YouTube. If you have any questions. Send me a PM here or YouTube. I have pulled from this tank 6x now in the past week and a half. About 750-1000 each time. If you have 2 fish. Start 2 tanks. You will never have to worry about buying pods or having your tank wiped out of them. I use mine strictly for feeding. Not for populating in my display tank. All 6 fish love them and they are a great source of Omega 3 for them to have.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back