Fenbendazole to eradicate xenia - question about livestock

JakeK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm kind of at my wits end with pulsing xenia. Manually remove and it comes back more stronger than before. Significant and frequent water changes, filter socks, and heavy skimming also not having much of an effect. I'm thinking fenbendazole could be my last option. I would like input on what of my invertebrate livestock needs to be removed before treatment.

Here is what i have in the tank alongside my fish and corals.
- 2 BTA
- 1 maxima clam
- 1 tonga fighting conch
- 1 sea cucumber
- 15 or so various snails

I can set up my QT for my clam and snails, but not sure i could get my BTAs out. Do I need to or is fenbendazole safe for all these guys?

Second question.

Total water is approximately 135 gallons including sump. What is the protocol for dosage and treatment for 135 gallons?

Thank you for your help!

Brian Treadwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used this on my 200 gallon do not remember dose , there are articles that talk about dosage , I did not have any anemone's when I used it but it will take snails , I would remove the Claim , conch , cucumber Ana snails. It will also take out GSP , blue cloves and various leather corals other than that it did not bother any of my fish are SPS or LPS corals, but did have a nutrient spike that has taken awhile to get back down , PO4 went from .06 to .34 and NO3 from 2 ppm to 10 ppm. Run carbon after treatment along with a couple of large water changes. It is a little inconvenient but it does work , 5 months later I have no Xenia are blue clove polyps. Hope that helps

OP
OP
JakeK

JakeK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used this on my 200 gallon do not remember dose , there are articles that talk about dosage , I did not have any anemone's when I used it but it will take snails , I would remove the Claim , conch , cucumber Ana snails. It will also take out GSP , blue cloves and various leather corals other than that it did not bother any of my fish are SPS or LPS corals, but did have a nutrient spike that has taken awhile to get back down , PO4 went from .06 to .34 and NO3 from 2 ppm to 10 ppm. Run carbon after treatment along with a couple of large water changes. It is a little inconvenient but it does work , 5 months later I have no Xenia are blue clove polyps. Hope that helps

Thanks for the advice. Your mention of leather corals triggered another question.

I have two leather corals, some SPS, a few gorgonians, but lots of hammer corals, ricordeas and zoas. Most of my tank is ricordeas, hammers and zoas. I'd hate to lose all my corals too, especially my zoas, ricordeas and hammer corals. Is fenbendazole safe for all those corals?

Brian Treadwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The gorgonians want make it I had only one but it did not pull thru , I had one leather it made it but barely and one other that did not.

Back