Not sure if these are Hydroids

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I want to make sure these are a worm. Maybe a type of Hydroid? I'm 99% sure they are. The rocks they came in on from were in a basement sump with so light I'm sure they aren't a clove or gorgonian. They have been multiplying at a steady rate. I have tried killing them off with a small amount of Aiptasia-X, it works but it's impossible to get them all and they come back. They're invading and making my Zoas very unhappy. I have seen them occasionally floating around and they do kind of wiggle through the water colum. I want to try a treatment with Fenbendazole. But I want to be certain it is a colonial worm before I dose because I do have a few tube worms that I know I will lose if I treat. I'm not worried about losing those but I don't want to kill them for nothing. Also if anyone has used Fenbendazole do I need to take my inverts out? I don't think so I just want to be sure. I will be doing more research on Fenbendazole today as well.

I tried to get as clear of pictures as possible. This is in my 1 gallon mini tank so I've had to zoom quite a bit.

PXL_20240303_190733141.MP.jpg PXL_20240303_190831468.MP.jpg PXL_20240303_190706959.MP.jpg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are definitely an invasive octocoral - each polyp has 8 limbs branching off in a radially symmetric pattern.

I'd suggest treating it like invasive clove polyps.

OP
OP
Luckyduck

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are definitely an invasive octocoral - each polyp has 8 limbs branching off in a radially symmetric pattern.

I'd suggest treating it like invasive clove polyps.
Thank you for the ID. And how would I treat an invasive colve polyp?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey guys I want to make sure these are a worm. Maybe a type of Hydroid? I'm 99% sure they are. The rocks they came in on from were in a basement sump with so light I'm sure they aren't a clove or gorgonian. They have been multiplying at a steady rate. I have tried killing them off with a small amount of Aiptasia-X, it works but it's impossible to get them all and they come back. They're invading and making my Zoas very unhappy. I have seen them occasionally floating around and they do kind of wiggle through the water colum. I want to try a treatment with Fenbendazole. But I want to be certain it is a colonial worm before I dose because I do have a few tube worms that I know I will lose if I treat. I'm not worried about losing those but I don't want to kill them for nothing. Also if anyone has used Fenbendazole do I need to take my inverts out? I don't think so I just want to be sure. I will be doing more research on Fenbendazole today as well.

I tried to get as clear of pictures as possible. This is in my 1 gallon mini tank so I've had to zoom quite a bit.

PXL_20240303_190733141.MP.jpg PXL_20240303_190831468.MP.jpg PXL_20240303_190706959.MP.jpg
Looks like anthellia xenia which can grow out of control

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the ID. And how would I treat an invasive colve polyp?
The only solutions I've heard for blue clove polyps aren't reef safe (they might kill off other things in the tank), but the most common treatment I've heard is Fenbendazole. Someone else used Lugol's Iodine, but they also lost some corals from that. Some people say kalk paste or super glue may work, but I haven't seen many people reporting success with it. The links below may help:
I can't find the post, but I recently read someone saying they had a particularly invasive brown strain of clove polyps that survived the fenbendazole treatment too.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back