Invasive purple clove polyps

Matt Paluck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know how to kill off invasive clove polyps? They’re starting to spread and envelop my acans and I don’t want them swallowing my garden.

0FAA3A32-D7EC-4713-938C-5A1A8759BA93.jpeg

N-A-S-O

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found the same thing on a dendro that I purchased a few months ago. I'm thinking about just trashing the whole colony rather than risking it spreading.

OP
OP
Matt Paluck

Matt Paluck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to use magnesium crystals dissolved in tank water, injecting it onto them with a syringe but that doesn’t seem to have done anything. I might try super hot RODI water with the syringe. Maybe that will kill them.

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Fenbendazole will kill Green Star Polyps, Xenia, clove polyps and some snails , toadstools and even brain coral. Taking out the rock and applying boiling water via paintbrush will disintegrate them and you can clean off remaining with a toothbrush then rinse rock with tank water and return to tank

N-A-S-O

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I can take the rock out I was thinking of covering them in super glue.

OP
OP
Matt Paluck

Matt Paluck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a way to target dose them? I cannot remove the rock because it is the lower base and I’d have to remove the entire left side of the tank.

jamie1210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, this is the worst pest to get in your tank. You need to take care of them ASAP. They don't just simply spread across a rock, but if left unchecked, they can spread to powerheads, your glass, everywhere, even if the original colony was nowhere near those things. They'll start growing on top of your zoa's, on top of your acros.

The fenbendazole works, but at what cost? Here's my experience with fenbendazole: I dosed, according to the instructions online. It worked, but they came back months later! Things were stressed. These things DID include acros. Anemones were not affected whatsoever. When they came back, I upped the dosage slightly, and this time, for sure it worked (they never came back). However, I ended up losing many torch corals, acros. The sucky part of this is that the corals don't die instantly. They remain sickly for weeks before they ultimately die. also, this stuff stays in your system for months as well, despite frequent water changes. I wasn't able to put any snails or urchins in my tank for months--they died :(

this is a TERRIBLE pest. I would not wish it on my worst enemy!

OP
OP
Matt Paluck

Matt Paluck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the boiling hot RO water and a baster. Definitely irritated them and they closed up tight. Will see how they are tomorrow and will hit them again.

OP
OP
Matt Paluck

Matt Paluck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update... I used nearly boiling hot RODI water approximately 185 degrees and targeted the polyps with a turkey baster. When the receded I used a soft bristle toothbrush and scrubbed the rocks and coral bases. It’s been over a week and I think I got all of them. The key is the toothbrush, that seemed to scrape them off and disinterest them. Hope this helps anyone who wants to rid themselves of this invasive coral.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure when you scrubbed them with the toothbrush, you just helped them spread around your tank.

I've done exactly what you did, I eventually tore down the tank, and killed the rock to rid myself of this pest.

DothanReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update... I used nearly boiling hot RODI water approximately 185 degrees and targeted the polyps with a turkey baster. When the receded I used a soft bristle toothbrush and scrubbed the rocks and coral bases. It’s been over a week and I think I got all of them. The key is the toothbrush, that seemed to scrape them off and disinterest them. Hope this helps anyone who wants to rid themselves of this invasive coral.
any update on how this turned out long-term? i'm dealing with the same issue and wondering what direction to take for elimination...TIA

OP
OP
Matt Paluck

Matt Paluck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update.… Epic comeback of those pesky polyps! I had some life take prio and I wasn’t able to keep up with them and they’ve exacted revenge on me. The boiling water works but you have to be consistent. I was able to keep hitting them and they grew back. My buddy suggested target dosing Lugol’s Iodine. He had a sponge take over half his tank and used lugols to kill it back. It’s worth a try.

OP
OP
Matt Paluck

Matt Paluck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I have begun winning the battle against these pesky polyps! i have been using lugol’s iodine and target lacing them With great success. ***CAUTION ***
This will cause corals and sponges to either die off or severely get ticked off.
my purple branching sponge has been killed back and I might lose it. I also lost a small acro that was engulfed by the polyps when I dripped the iodine around it, it died within a day.

I basically turned off all of my pumps and vortechs. Then I used the eye dropper to lace the iodine around the clove polyps making sure they’re coated in it. I let it sit for about 10 minutes then turn the pumps on. They die within hours. You can dip the rocks in a bucket of iodine/water if you have the ability. All of my covered rock is structural and can’t be pulled out without tearing down my tank.
I also have been doing water changes to avoid let the iodine saturated water circulate too long. I have a stainless steel toothbrush that I use to scrub the rock as I siphon the water out. This helps get the loose dying cloves off the rock too.
Hope this helps. It’s a long battle but I’m starting to see results

willisd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am glad to see a similar thread to what I have been dealing with for years.

I would echo everyone's statement that if you do have this move quickly and kill them as fast as you can... they spread like wildfire.

Typically i have been re-curing rocks that get the scourge but also treating with a calk mixture applied for a prolonged time has had success for me in the past as well. Need to leave it on with no flow and then siphon it off.

Any other tips/tricks from others would be very welcome.

ID-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What a terrible invasive pest these polyps are. I must have accidentally introduced this evil polyp on a frag early on. Instead of attacking it right away I let it get established and over about 18 months it covered a large section of my rock work. As much as I hated to do it, I spent all day yesterday ripping out 1/3 of my aquascape. I salvaged as much coral as I could and installed new rock work. I hope I got all of the polyp out - if not I will not waste time to kill it right away next time.

Photo of the original rock work that had been taken over.

E81AE816-9ADA-44B9-AEBC-1B5CC056626A.jpeg

Die purple clove polyp!!
EF5DA751-73BE-4A2E-A3F2-A8E7A01F9484.jpeg

F4346DEF-48F9-4A6A-999B-BD974673556E.jpeg

new rockwork

FF0F3C3B-6229-4671-87DD-D4020A30F58E.jpeg
B135F30D-8BD1-4544-886A-91617F764057.jpeg

maramotreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am glad to see a similar thread to what I have been dealing with for years.

I would echo everyone's statement that if you do have this move quickly and kill them as fast as you can... they spread like wildfire.

Typically i have been re-curing rocks that get the scourge but also treating with a calk mixture applied for a prolonged time has had success for me in the past as well. Need to leave it on with no flow and then siphon it off.

Any other tips/tricks from others would be very welcome.
Kalkwasser paste will kill them

DothanReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I let these things get way out of control. I've taken all the rock out before, scrubbed them all off with a toothbrush, burnt the rocks with a torch and they came back with a vengence... I don't have any "premium" corals to speak of, just softies and the two big rainbow anemones that my clowns live in. I'm wondering what those on this thread that have experience with these things would do?? Any input appreciated. FYI - 2 shrimp, countless snails and crabs...and of course, 2 aiptaisa...
20230618_162613.jpg
20230618_162632.jpg
20230618_162732.jpg
20230618_162717.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back