OP
OP
F

fernb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a lil input... check out the Kessil A150 with the gooseneck.its a perfect light of the highest quality and perfect for your purpose. I just picked up a biocube as well, but for a seahorse tank. Very nice! Best wishes!

Thank you,
I checked this LED fixture out but unfortunately it is not programmable, something we really need with our hectic schedule.
Thank you for the suggestion. Please keep in touch, I would love to see your seahorse setup.

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then check out their new A360! Awesome light! I do not have one.. have maxspect but love kessil... and giving unsolicited advice
Thank you,
I checked this LED fixture out but unfortunately it is not programmable, something we really need with our hectic schedule.
Thank you for the suggestion. Please keep in touch, I would love to see your seahorse setup.

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks good. In my tank the temperature goes from 77-81 and when i got my tank before I put a heater the water would go from 71-80 and everything would be ok.

OP
OP
F

fernb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your input on lighting. After careful review for about two weeks I went ahead and ordered the Photon 16 from ReefBreeders.com. This will eliminate my temperature problem altogether and it is programmable. It will also be versatile enough for us if and when we decide to step up to a larger tank.

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you didn't follow my advice you obviously did not carefully review anything. I go through all the trouble of carefully advising those obviously less knowledgable than I and what do I get for my trouble? Gah if everybody would just do what I say this would be a far happier world... I hope you're happy

Sorry... I find that if I don't entertain myself nobody else will.

Thank you all for your input on lighting. After careful review for about two weeks I went ahead and ordered the Photon 16 from ReefBreeders.com. This will eliminate my temperature problem altogether and it is programmable. It will also be versatile enough for us if and when we decide to step up to a larger tank.

OP
OP
F

fernb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ReefBreeders Photon 16 arrived yesterday. Today hung them from the ceiling. Still need to get them a little closer to my tank. They are currently about 14 inches above the top of the tank. I will head back to HD tomorrow and get that taken care of. I will then post new photos. The colors of the coral are so much more vibrant with these lights. I like it!!!!
Also have a few more additions to my tank and we did a little repositioning of some of the older coral. Will have photos by tomorrow evening.
Enjoy Memorial Day tomorrow.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ReefBreeders Photon 16 arrived yesterday. Today hung them from the ceiling. Still need to get them a little closer to my tank. They are currently about 14 inches above the top of the tank. I will head back to HD tomorrow and get that taken care of. I will then post new photos. The colors of the coral are so much more vibrant with these lights. I like it!!!!
Also have a few more additions to my tank and we did a little repositioning of some of the older coral. Will have photos by tomorrow evening.
Enjoy Memorial Day tomorrow.

Nice and yes do post some pics .... sounds like you are really thrilled about the light !

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always keep the top of my nano cracked open for the same reason. The water will evaporate more but topping off with buffered water has also helped with the ph. We also run a paddle fan in the room. Good luck!

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
12g Nanoreef. Zooanthids, Ricordia, Star Polyps and two clownfish. CF Lighting, 75% actinic blue, 25% 10,000k white.

OP
OP
F

fernb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't had a chance to head to HD today. I will post photos by Wednesday this week. A fellow local club member was thinning out some of his soft corals and gave me a bunch, so was busy getting those into their new home. That took me longer than I had anticipated and the time just flew by.
Hi Albert, yes I am thrilled with the new LED lights. I am following their suggestion and programming it to have a max of only 25% for first week and up the lights by 10% per week. I can't see going over 50% for blues and whites in my 29g tank. That seemed pretty bright to me.
The temperature has remained at a constant 76 degrees today since the new lights were hung!!!!!

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't had a chance to head to HD today. I will post photos by Wednesday this week. A fellow local club member was thinning out some of his soft corals and gave me a bunch, so was busy getting those into their new home. That took me longer than I had anticipated and the time just flew by.
Hi Albert, yes I am thrilled with the new LED lights. I am following their suggestion and programming it to have a max of only 25% for first week and up the lights by 10% per week. I can't see going over 50% for blues and whites in my 29g tank. That seemed pretty bright to me.
The temperature has remained at a constant 76 degrees today since the new lights were hung!!!!!

Way to go so you avoid possible light shock and bleaching or other issues ... nice that the light is that much configurable for intensity and for spectrum/color.

Thanks for the update and good luck with all your soft corals

OP
OP
F

fernb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New ReefBreeder's Photon 16 in place

Got the necessary cables and crimps to drop my new LED fixture to 7 inches over my 29g BioCube. Lighting at 23% blues and 25% whites at the moment of photo. This is about the highest intensity I will have it set this week. It is so nice to wake up in the mornings and not have to worry about turning the lights on and also not have to worry about water temperatures rising too much during the day! Lights have been programmed and i don't have to touch a thing.
ReefBreeder's Photon 16.JPG

Recently acquired an orange montipori frag and 2 Merman's shaving brush macro algae
montipori and merman's brush.jpg

Also acquired some freebie zoanthids from a fellow club member. These he separated from mother colony on Monday and I attached to my live rock within an hour. They were totally open by the next day!
matt's zoanthids.jpg

More photos will follow these next few days.

OP
OP
F

fernb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nano sized pin cushion sea urchin

Our newest addition to our tank is a nano sized (about 3/4 inch) sea urchin we have named the Madhatter when we caught him sporting a clump of zoanthids I had just attachd to my LR the day before. Today he is sporting something else and I have to find where he dropped yesterday's hat, lol.
pin cushion sea urchin we named the madhatter.JPG

Attachments

• pin cushion sea urchin we named the madhatter.jpg
    pin cushion sea urchin we named the madhatter.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 338
OP
OP
F

fernb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking of adding fish soon but.....

My wife and I have decided to get our first fish soon, but now that I have the lid off and the LED fixture up I am concerned about fish jumping to their deaths. I came across these plans to make a mesh lid:
http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f6...ld-135525.html
What do you all think? Is there another solution?

nd
t
he

OP
OP
F

fernb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took me less than half an hour

I went ahead and got the materials at HD to make my mesh cover. It took me less than a half hour and it came out very nicely. Just in time to head to the LFS and purchase our first saltwater fish ever, a lovely Royal Gramma. Still drip acclimating. Let the fun begin!!!, lol.
mesh cover for 29g biocube.jpg
royal gramma.jpg

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went ahead and got the materials at HD to make my mesh cover. It took me less than a half hour and it came out very nicely. Just in time to head to the LFS and purchase our first saltwater fish ever, a lovely Royal Gramma. Still drip acclimating. Let the fun begin!!!, lol.

Nice and probably very inexpensive too ... I do not use one as I have nu jumpers in my tanks right now ...

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 36 83.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back