Fern and Isabel's 29g Coralife BioCube

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have to report that our Royal Gramma did not survive the hospital tank hyposalinity treatment. He was the most affected by the ich. Everything was going well. All the ich spots were gone within a few days. He was very active and feeding. Then all of a sudden he just died. The mandarin and the purple firefish show no ill effects.
We are one week away from starting to increase the salinity slowly. My wife read Albert Thiel's posts and felt we needed to give then some additional time.

Sorry to read about the Royal Gramma and thanks for the clarification on what you are doing ... I appreciate it.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well we have discovered just how hard it is to get rid of this nuissance algae. We have tried removing with tweezers with popping the bubbles but still kep[ on multiplying. Finally after some research have purchased a small female emerald crab. So far she has not paid any attention to the bubble algae and instead is feasting on I guess other nuissance algae that I wasn't aware I had. Steve from the LFS where I purchased her told me to pop one of the bubble algea to let her know that it is there. I have been reluctant to do this in fears that it will spread more. I will wait till this weekend to make my decision. Hoping some of you can give sugestions.

Do not pop the bubbles wether red or green ones. When you do so you put the spores inside the bubble in the water and they will stick somewhere and you will get more bubble algae.

All you can IMO is the following :

If small clusters of small bubbles ... manual loosenning should be possible so you can remove the whole group of them all at once ... usually you can rock them back and forth with your finger or fingers till they come loose. if that does not work then use a small flat piece of plastic to push them back and forth until you can get the loose and out of the tank

If large Bubble Algae : let it grow large and then rock it back and forth until you can loosen it and get it out. Do not pierce it ... it should eventually come loose and you should be able to remove it manually. It may take a while to accomplish that but eventually IME you will

FWIW

OP
OP
F

fernb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not pop the bubbles wether red or green ones. When you do so you put the spores inside the bubble in the water and they will stick somewhere and you will get more bubble algae.

All you can IMO is the following :

If small clusters of small bubbles ... manual loosenning should be possible so you can remove the whole group of them all at once ... usually you can rock them back and forth with your finger or fingers till they come loose. if that does not work then use a small flat piece of plastic to push them back and forth until you can get the loose and out of the tank

If large Bubble Algae : let it grow large and then rock it back and forth until you can loosen it and get it out. Do not pierce it ... it should eventually come loose and you should be able to remove it manually. It may take a while to accomplish that but eventually IME you will

FWIW

Thanks Albert,
I just eddited my original post when I discovered I had written "with popping the bubbles" when I meant "without popping the bubbles".
I'll keep on manually removing and hopefully the emerald crab will develop a taste for the ones I missed. I have found it in crevices without much light so I am assuming it is everywhere by now., lol

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Albert,
I just eddited my original post when I discovered I had written "with popping the bubbles" when I meant "without popping the bubbles".
I'll keep on manually removing and hopefully the emerald crab will develop a taste for the ones I missed. I have found it in crevices without much light so I am assuming it is everywhere by now., lol

Ha ok ... that is different indeed .... and yes manual removal is best and not sure whether the Emerald Crab will actually get a taste for them as if there are plenty of other micro algae in the tank that is IME what it will go for .. but with patience and persistence you will eventually get most of them out ..

OP
OP
F

fernb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity today is up to 1.020. We should be at 1.024 or so by Sunday and we will start to lower temperature in hospital tank gradually as we'll to match the display temperature. Hospital tank has been maintained at 80 and display runs about 77.5.

OP
OP
F

fernb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today we transfered the fish to the display tank, finally!!!!. There were no signs of ich during the re-salinification process which took about three weeks. Both fish were active in the display and feeding.
Have added many more zoas and palys to display tank while this was all going on. I am in the process of building the stand for the 80 gallon DeepBlue frag tank which will become my new display tank. The current display tank will be replaced by a 30 gallon DeepBlue frag tank whose stand should be ready for pickup by next week. When that happens I will close this thread and start two new threads, one for the nano and one for the 80 gallon.
The emerald crab we added was seen eating some small bubble algae today, hurray!!!!. She has been doing a great job of eating algae around the zoa polyps and hasn't nipped at any of the coral so far. I am very pleased.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.3%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 50 25.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 46 23.2%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back