Few question about my RKL. Anyone knowledgeable I can pm, ask a few questions?

Jakepen

Few beers and I'll frag anything...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very long title ha, but it says it all. I'm seeking someone knowledgeable, and who wouldn't mind answering a few questions I have. Please inquire below ha, thanks.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have use a RKE for many years. There are just a few differences between them. What do you need help with?

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the RKL plus, bought it second hand. I've done factory reset twice, and the channels are still named. When I modify a channel, and rename the function, it doesn't stay. It remains named what it was before. How do I fix this, as it makes it pretty confusing.

Also how do I set alarms, incase my temp drops?

Also what is my best option to momentarily shut down a MP10, standby mode? If so, how do I work that?

DaveMorris

MACNA2016 Co-Chair
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Renaming modules has to be done using myReef software while the RKL is connected to a Windows based PC using a SID. The SID should have come with the RKL. If you don't have it, then you will need to borrow one from somebody or buy one from DA. They are about $20 on the DA website.

Alarms are set using different parameters depending on what you need it to do, in your case a low temp alarm. Basically you set up the alarm to trigger when the temp probe hits a certain level. Once you have that alarm set, lets say it is alarm 1, you add that alarm number to the programming on your temp probe. When alarm triggers, turn on heater. Or whatever you want it to do.

Standby is the only real option, without any special programming, to temporarily shutdown an MP10 or anything else. On the MP10 channel, under STANDBY you select yes and "OFF on when triggered". The syntax is close to that. I don't remember it exactly.

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does t make any difference that I'll be doing all of this right on the RKL, not using a computer. I only have Mac, same with most of my friends and family. Not sure where to go to use a Microsoft computer.

DaveMorris

MACNA2016 Co-Chair
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will not be able to change the names without at least the SID and a Windows machine. The only other way to get rid of the names is to reset the PC4's. This can only be done by doing an interrupted firmware update. As soon as it starts, you unplug the SID. Then plug it bac in and do the update again. This time you will be prompted to select which module it is. You tell it that it is a PC4 and it will reflash the firmware which will dump the names.

Bottom line is without a SID and the Windows machine, you will not be able to do what you want.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The function has to do with programming and not the name of the module or output. Naming can only b done via myReef as Dave has stated. If you want to program an output as a heater you can use the heater function to program that output. On the RKL you will have to use the iTemp probe for that function. On the RKE it can use any temp port. I would suggest starting with reading the manuals for the RKL before getting into it too deeply. Here are the manuals http://www.digitalaquatics.com/download/systems/reefkeeper-light/

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 16.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 139 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.9%
Back