Question's regarding chaetomorpha algae

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently had gotten chaetomorpha for the first time hoping to reduce the nitrates in my predator 150 gallon tank also hoping to grow enough to add it to my 210 gallon tank but since this is my first time I wanted to ask some questions regarding this algae

According to some information I've collected, does this algae really thrive well in a 6500k day light bulb? I've gotten a big 6500k 30 watt bulb so I wonder if that would be enough?

Do I need to add liquid fertilizer's? Or should I just fill my eel's and grouper's stomachs with so much food that my algae wouldn't dare to ask for more nutrient's?

How long does it take for it to attach itself to a rock? I had some fat string to tie it to a rock and since the string is really visible i wonder when I can remove the string

Would it be better in the sump? or in my display? because I currently have it in my display

I have a picture of my algae and incase if any of you spot some problem's please do say them aswell as the solution's

For my flow I have about 3400 gph of flow from my wave maker's and 1400 gph of flow from my sump pump

My 150 gallon is also about a month old with only my gymnothorax dovii and my zebra moray with a 6 inch greasy grouper so should I move it to my 210 gallon with a massive tessalata which has not gotten a water change in a about a year? Lol

IMG_20240402_190550.jpg

Last edited:

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently had gotten chaetomorpha for the first time hoping to reduce the nitrates in my predator 150 gallon tank also hoping to grow enough to add it to my 210 gallon tank but since this is my first time I wanted to ask some questions regarding this algae

According to some information I've collected, does this algae really thrive well in a 6500k day light bulb? I've gotten a big 6500k 30 watt bulb so I wonder if that would be enough?

30 watts of incandescent or LED? Cheatomorpha needs bright light and flow for tumbling to prevent self-shading.

Do I need to add liquid fertilizer's? Or should I just fill my eel's and grouper's stomachs with so much food that my algae wouldn't dare to ask for more nutrient's?

What is your nitrate and phosphate level now? You might need to dise trace elements once the Cheato starts growing vigorously

How long does it take for it to attach itself to a rock? I had some fat string to tie it to a rock and since the string is really visible i wonder when I can remove the string

It never attaches to anthing. It tends to be a free floating algae.

Would it be better in the sump? or in my display? because I currently have it in my display

Where ever the conditions are the best and won’t be eaten

I have a picture of my algae and incase if any of you spot some problem's please do say them aswell as the solution's

For my flow I have about 3400 gph of flow from my wave maker's and 1400 gph of flow from my sump pump

Free floating clumps of algae can self-shade themselves and starve. Water flow keeps the clump moving so that all surfaces get enough light.

My 150 gallon is also about a month old with only my gymnothorax dovii and my zebra moray with a 6 inch greasy grouper so should I move it to my 210 gallon with a massive tessalata which has not gotten a water change in a about a year? Lol

Most new aquaria do not have the nitrate and phosphate levels needed to feed the algae. Maybe yours does.

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 watts of incandescent or LED? Cheatomorpha needs bright light and flow for tumbling to prevent self-shading.

It never attaches to anthing. It tends to be a free floating algae
I use a 30 watt led bulb which I kept about 5 feet above the aquarium incase it's too strong and burns the algae should I bring it closer to the aquarium?

Oh, it never attaches to anything? According to the info I found some sources said that they grow strings to attach to rocks or driftwood or something

As for nitrate's and potassium i don't have a test kit for potassium but I will check for nitrate's when i head back, I might transfer the algae to my 210g since I am pretty sure it contains a lot of nutrients from no water changes and since I feed my eel multivitamin infused whole mackerel (about 3 whole pieces), sure enough the algae will be all good

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 30 watt led bulb which I kept about 5 feet above the aquarium incase it's too strong and burns the algae should I bring it closer to the aquarium?

Oh, it never attaches to anything? According to the info I found some sources said that they grow strings to attach to rocks or driftwood or something

As for nitrate's and potassium i don't have a test kit for potassium but I will check for nitrate's when i head back, I might transfer the algae to my 210g since I am pretty sure it contains a lot of nutrients from no water changes and since I feed my eel multivitamin infused whole mackerel (about 3 whole pieces), sure enough the algae will be all good
Typical distance for a single light bulb above algae is 12 inches or less. If you have a high intensity reef lighting system it would likely need to be further away.

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typical distance for a single light bulb above algae is 12 inches or less. If you have a high intensity reef lighting system it would likely need to be further away.
Oh, I'll surely move it closer, thank you so much for the info! Though, should I have a smaller wave maker pointing to the algae in the display tank? Or would the water circulating around it be enough?

Lingwendil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally you only need enough flow to keep it clear of debris and detritus if its stationary, if you have it free floating in a sump give it enough flow to let it tumble around and roll. Otherwise you will need to tear it apart more often to keep it from growing too dense and shading out the lower portions- if it does get too shaded those parts will die off and rot.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I'll surely move it closer, thank you so much for the info! Though, should I have a smaller wave maker pointing to the algae in the display tank? Or would the water circulating around it be enough?
Algae in general benefit from flow over their surfaces. This removes wastes, brings nutrients, and makes it easier for these plants to absorb nutrients and expel waste.They can benefit from high flows.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 81 77.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back