Few thoughts on fresh start, which of the commandments are important?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

TilmanBaumann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies if those questions where answered before. I guess they are quite common.

The triton system is quite well documented. But once you decide to break a few rules, noboy usually tells you why those rules existed.
Without that knowledge you have no idea what you can expect if you break that rule.

Triton recommends live rock and a 'normal' tank cycle.
I totally get the reason for this. BUT, I don't want to deal with the issues of life rock.
Triton also advises against bacteria starter cultures. For this I could not find any documented reason.
Especially if I decide to use dead rock ceramic rocks exclusively. How is not using such products still better than not?
I would say, if I decide to break with the holy commandments of triton and not use life rock. Bacteria starter cultures make a lot of sense to me.

Also once the tank is stable I would add pod cultures.

Does this make sense?
IF I decide to break the life rock rule. Is it THEN right to use starter cultures?

Another one of those holy rules is to put the skimmer after the algae filter.
In this case I happen to have found a video where Ehsan explained the reason for this rule.
The idea is that skimmers add a lot of oxygen to the water. And during the dark period algae actually consume oxygen.
So am I right at thinking that even better than butting the skimmer behind the algae, would be to pull the water from before the filter and dump it into the pump chamber.
Because with a external skimmer or a skimmer with two pumps, what would be possible.

I would be interested in your thoughts.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi , I use triton other methods on my tank , my tank was started initially with dry rock and a bacteria culture,after the cycling (10weeks) I added live rock and corals from my smaller tank , I started triton a couple of months after that when my alk was dropping Enough to warrant it , as for pods , I started adding them after the tank had cycled , I’ve not seen any problems from doing this this way , the key too a successful tank is stability , which is only going too happen over time , slow and steady , add fish and corals slowly in the first few months do regular icp tests and follow tritons advice .

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back