Fighting Brown Hair Algae

Myzoolife2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a 125 reef tank with live and dry rock. It has been set up since May 2020. I do not have a sump. I have a Fx4 canister filter with ceramic media inside, HOB Octo Skimmer, 13 W UV sterilizer in tank, two Nero 5 pumps, I have a HOB filter with Phosgard and filter floss. I have three 165 watt Viparspectra lights 65% blues, 1% whites. I have an Aquatop 300 watt heater with the digital controller. I have been having a horrible time with brown hair algae. It was so bad a couple of weeks ago that it was choking some of my corals down and making them look horrible. It was all over my pumps, accessories and sand. I treated with Phos RX thinking I had high phosphates. I changed all of my RODI cartridges except the membrane. It only got worse. Then I started noticing I had red cyano on some of my rocks. I treated with Chemi-clean and turned the lights off for 48 hours. I also raised my temp to 82 which had been suggested to kill the hair algae. It was also suggested that I add an airstone to help my PH. All was cured and everything looked great for about a week. I do a 30 gallon water change every Sunday and wash out my canister filters about every 3-4 weeks. I even ran my skimmer air line outside for a week and I still have the large air stone in the tank. I use Reef Crystals for my salt mix. I have a Scopa tang, yellow tang, firefish, two pajama cardinals, multicolored goby, many snails and crabs and another clean up crew coming any day. I am using Hanna testers for everything except Nitrate. It is API (drops). I just noticed today that I have brown hair algae all over my sand blowing in the current. I am out of ideas. Can you tell me what I am doing wrong or what do you suggest I do now. Thanks.

My parameters are as follows today: Calcium 523, alkalinity 10.3, pH 7.8, phosphate 0.31, Nitrate 5. Also attached a picture of the algae on sand. Hope it is clear enough. Thanks again everyone.

15A63429-1FFC-4E0C-9E15-5AE84C098C83.jpeg

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would venture to say that it is cyano with that history and the no3/po4 imbalance. The chemi-clean seems to have initially resolved it and then it returns since the imbalance hadn't been corrected and stabilized.

The other possibility would be dinos.

Any possibility to get access to a microscope to check it out?

OP
OP
Myzoolife2

Myzoolife2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been looking a microscopes today since reading all of these threads but I do not have access to one yet.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back