Help with green hair algae?

charliedarling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nano Macroalgae tank with a growing hair algae problem. Any tips?

IMG_4016.jpeg

IMG_4013.jpeg

IMG_3891.jpeg

OP
OP
C

charliedarling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inverts will work well, but check your nitrates and phos too. And if u don’t have many corals lowering lights also work
Thanks -

Nitrates are 2.5ppm
Phosphate is .04ppm

I dose 1ml (about 2.5ppm worth) of neo nitro daily. Otherwise my macros go pale and start dying. Nitrates will bottom out in a few days if I don’t dose. I have 6 or 7 small corals in there and tried turning my lights down and the macros hated it, two days and a lot of them melted.

jeanjo85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank? I tend to notice hair algae problems when my tanks are newer (under 2-3 years old). If that's the case, just run some GFO until you don't need it anymore. Problems with adding too many invertebrates for me is that once the algae issue is fixed, most of them will starve to death which is kind of cruel imo.

OP
OP
C

charliedarling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank? I tend to notice hair algae problems when my tanks are newer (under 2-3 years old). If that's the case, just run some GFO until you don't need it anymore. Problems with adding too many invertebrates for me is that once the algae issue is fixed, most of them will starve to death which is kind of cruel imo.
Thanks for the info. It’s definitely a newer tank (4 months or so but I got it secondhand). I have some GFO but worried ill bottom out my phosphates

jeanjo85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never have an issue with it.
Thanks for the info. It’s definitely a newer tank (4 months or so but I got it secondhand). I have some GFO but worried ill bottom out my phosphates
yes, new tank tend to run into these algae issues.sounds pretty normal to me. I never have an issue with GFO, if anything you can stop using it at any point.

Last edited:

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Tuxedo urchin is the star of my CUC. Consider getting one and they’re super cool little things
Mine won’t eat gha, he scoots around eating any developing coraline. Had to get a pencil urchin too to take up his slack. That little guy is an algae eating machine…. Plus he doesn’t redecorate my tank too

OP
OP
C

charliedarling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That doesn't look like gha. Calothrix is def a possibility
Very very interesting I’ll have to break out the microscope and throw some gfo in and see if that’ll wipe it out. Appreciate the insight. Maybe a dose of chemiclean and I’ll be able to get rid of it? If only life was that easy lol!

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are quite a few differrrent variety of Cyanobacteria & GHA:

I don’t think you have Calothrix

Calothrix

calothrix 300x225

These species of cyano often appear as a light slimy yet hairy/fuzzy nastiness that loosely attaches to your rock work. Air bubbles are usually trapped while escaping the "algae", just like in the picture to the left. Calothrix is a type of blue green algae that looks very similar to Dinos. We have them next to each other in the guide to help you distinguish the difference between the two.

Manual Removal: Remove the rock and scrub, and then fine tune with a toothbrush. Let the cleaners get the rest. It helps to use a net to collect the debris that will occur as a result of the toothbrushing.

GHA

Green Hair Algae

hair algae 300x225
hairalgae2 300x181

Green Hair Algae or "GHA" is really a broad term that covers hundreds of species of green simple filamentous algae. These species tend to be simple, fine in texture, and have few distinguishable features. True species level identification requires a microscope.

Distinguishing it from look-a-likes: GHA is not coarse or wiry, it should break apart easily when pulled, and should lose form quickly when removed from water. If you can make out a root structure, or a stiff branching structure it is probably not GHA

OP
OP
C

charliedarling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Calothrix

calothrix 300x225

These species of cyano often appear as a light slimy yet hairy/fuzzy nastiness that loosely attaches to your rock work. Air bubbles are usually trapped while escaping the "algae", just like in the picture to the left. Calothrix is a type of blue green algae that looks very similar to Dinos. We have them next to each other in the guide to help you distinguish the difference between the two.

Manual Removal: Remove the rock and scrub, and then fine tune with a toothbrush. Let the cleaners get the rest. It helps to use a net to collect the debris that will occur as a result of the toothbrushing.

GHA

Green Hair Algae

hair algae 300x225
hairalgae2 300x181

Green Hair Algae or "GHA" is really a broad term that covers hundreds of species of green simple filamentous algae. These species tend to be simple, fine in texture, and have few distinguishable features. True species level identification requires a microscope.

Distinguishing it from look-a-likes: GHA is not coarse or wiry, it should break apart easily when pulled, and should lose form quickly when removed from water. If you can make out a root structure, or a stiff branching structure it is probably not GHA
Thanks, this is super informative

OP
OP
C

charliedarling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Calothrix

calothrix 300x225

GHA

Green Hair Algae

hair algae 300x225
hairalgae2 300x181

Here’s some more photos of what I’ve got going on. Certainly more “brown” than “green” but always assumed it was just GHA. I had a significant diatom bloom (microscope ID) and as soon as that subsided, this algae issue spread all over the tank. Some of the cells looked very algae like under the scope so that’s what I figured it was.

This growth is from only one week after scrubbing the rocks down *clean* in the sink, it’s explosive.

IMG_7498.jpeg
IMG_7499.jpeg
IMG_7500.jpeg
IMG_7501.jpeg
IMG_7505.jpeg
IMG_7504.jpeg

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With such a small aquarium, you need to do a complete cleanup : RIP clean. Less than 2 hours work. Live rock with coral can be treated in a 10% solution of 3% h202 for 10 minutes, outside of tank. Remove all sand and flush with fresh water.

As a final thought, consider an Oxygenator system which uses hydrogen peroxide to manage system nuisance algae.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back