Fiji BiColor FoxFace growth on fin

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Curious if anyone has ever seen this before.

I bought this Fiji BiColor FoxFace about two months ago. I noticed this very small growth on his front, right pectoral fin when he came in. I thought it might just be a piece of sand or something from shipping.

Now, it has grown. Anyone have an idea of what I'm dealing with here? He is eating like a pig and shows no signs of being sick, etc.

BiColor_FoxFace_Fin.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

I bought this Fiji BiColor FoxFace about two months ago. I noticed this very small growth on his front, right pectoral fin when he came in. I thought it might just be a piece of sand or something from shipping.

Now, it has grown. Anyone have an idea of what I'm dealing with here? He is eating like a pig and shows no signs of being sick, etc.

BiColor_FoxFace_Fin.jpg
I see a little damage on the tail from possible aggression and may also be fin ray damage or lymphocystis which is viral.
Be sure to provide good water quality and proper diet ( this is not a flake and pellet fish)

OP
OP
Hurricane Aquatics

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I see a little damage on the tail from possible aggression and may also be fin ray damage or lymphocystis which is viral.
Be sure to provide good water quality and proper diet ( this is not a flake and pellet fish)

The water quality is perfect, it's an Acropora system. I am aware the Bicolor isn't a flake and pellet fish, his diet consists of Nori, frozen Mysis, frozen Spirulina Brine, frozen Rods foods, and you name it. I have 50 different varieties of what I feed the fish.

Now, Lymphocystis, hmmm, let's hope not. Oh and he isn't experiencing aggression, that I've witnessed of course.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The water quality is perfect, it's an Acropora system. I am aware the Bicolor isn't a flake and pellet fish, his diet consists of Nori, frozen Mysis, frozen Spirulina Brine, frozen Rods foods, and you name it. I have 50 different varieties of what I feed the fish.

Now, Lymphocystis, hmmm, let's hope not.
Lympho - not bad. With good water quality and diet which appears you have a handle on- It will fall off on its own. This again may be a result of fin dage and how its healing. Any aggression youve noticed with a tank occupant ?

OP
OP
Hurricane Aquatics

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Lympho - not bad. With good water quality and diet which appears you have a handle on- It will fall off on its own. This again may be a result of fin dage and how its healing. Any aggression youve noticed with a tank occupant ?

I have a Yellow Scopas Tang, which is in my avatar. He hasn't been rough on the Fox Face, but showed a bit of dominance at first a couple of months ago. Now, they are buddies and the Tang tries to tail swat me when I put my hand in the tank too close to the Fox Face.....

Rest of the inhabitants are peaceful. I do have a pair of mated and breeding Darwin Clowns that are actually very good with the other fish even when they have eggs.

I will hold out hope that it does fall off. Wonder why it seems like it's growing?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BiColor_FoxFace_Fin.jpg
That’s Lymphocystis. It’s a self-limiting viral disease. It may spread, but in a month or two, it will go away. There is no treatment for this, just let it run its course.
Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
lymphocystis is a virus - should improve best wishes

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone. One last question, is it fairly normal or?

It is pretty common on newly collected fish of some species. Apparently, they pick it up going through the supply chain to your home. Certain fish get it often - royal gramma for instance. Foxface get it once in a while. It sometimes spreads to other fish in the tank, but only if they haven't been exposed before.

In rare occasions it involves the mouth and keeps the fish from eating properly. More rarely, the lesions can become infected (more so if you try to remove them).

Jay

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back