Ich and black ich. Or bacterial tufts?

fancy_fish101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I woke up this morning to this. Not sure if I was just not seeing it yesterday but I usually look pretty close. But I know tang probably has black ich curable by prazi. But not sure what Fiji foxface has. I have no noticed a tad bit of twitching but not like overly dramatic. No scratching on the rocks. All eating fine. White tail may have a few white spots on his pectoral fins except that none from what I see. All swimming fine and nipping at rocks like normal behavior. Any help or advice plz. Ps I posted on Humple but not much help very fast.

Fish list
White tail tang
Fiji foxface
Cleaner wrasse
Coris wrasse
Blue sided wrasse IMG_3773.png

Attachments

• 1CA100F9-0A6D-4E8A-B958-4ABC05A879C9.mp4
    948 KB
  • 069D9AF6-B527-49C7-AE2F-E4240EB86985.mp4
    1.5 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Bleach ich is usually worm I lieu of parasite but pics are too dark to assess and will need pics under white light intensity and even video

OP
OP
F

fancy_fish101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleach ich is usually worm I lieu of parasite but pics are too dark to assess and will need pics under white light intensity and even video

Not sure if the video uploaded but here are some pictures. As like I said foxface is the only one with the spots. I do know he stresses quit a bit probably with white tail chasing him off and on. I heard that can cause spots

Attachments

• IMG_3782.jpeg
    IMG_3782.jpeg
    184.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3779.jpeg
    IMG_3779.jpeg
    168.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3777.jpeg
    IMG_3777.jpeg
    162.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3785.png
    IMG_3785.png
    540.5 KB · Views: 14

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Can’t open on my device but can in an hour

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Not sure if the video uploaded but here are some pictures. As like I said foxface is the only one with the spots. I do know he stresses quit a bit probably with white tail chasing him off and on. I heard that can cause spots
Beautiful tang. Dont see much on tang. here's the issue. . . . Foxface has ich and tang has been exposed to it. I recommend quarantining in a separate sterile tank and treating with copperpower or coppersafe at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
Because there is a possibility of black ich, after copper treatment , change water and treat with PraziPro.
To be safe , dose at 80% of recommended and apply initial dosage known as an interval for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite. If running a skimmer, leave cup off first 24 hrs as skimmer will go nuts from the glycol solution in Prazi
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a tank from a second hand store or a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.

OP
OP
F

fancy_fish101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tang. Dont see much on tang. here's the issue. . . . Foxface has ich and tang has been exposed to it. I recommend quarantining in a separate sterile tank and treating with copperpower or coppersafe at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
Because there is a possibility of black ich, after copper treatment , change water and treat with PraziPro.
To be safe , dose at 80% of recommended and apply initial dosage known as an interval for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite. If running a skimmer, leave cup off first 24 hrs as skimmer will go nuts from the glycol solution in Prazi
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a tank from a second hand store or a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.
Yeh, the tang has that black ich. Are you sure the Fiji has ich? The spots are more on top of the skin than inside of it. But I do have a qt if needed. I’ve seen it can be bacterial tufts and nobles maybe too. Sense it is only on the one fish

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yeh, the tang has that black ich. Are you sure the Fiji has ich? The spots are more on top of the skin than inside of it. But I do have a qt if needed. I’ve seen it can be bacterial tufts and nobles maybe too. Sense it is only on the one fish
If more on top may be mucus cones and would still be mixed with ich. As for black ich, these are turbellarian worms and likely the Paravortex version which are smaller and appear as grains of black spots
These worms have a single host life cycle producing several juveniles which can last up to 30 days but rarely do. Best is to treat with Praziquantel better known as prazi pro.

OP
OP
F

fancy_fish101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If more on top may be mucus cones and would still be mixed with ich. As for black ich, these are turbellarian worms and likely the Paravortex version which are smaller and appear as grains of black spots
These worms have a single host life cycle producing several juveniles which can last up to 30 days but rarely do. Best is to treat with Praziquantel better known as prazi pro.
I got a 36 gallon qt should I move all fish in that tank?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I got a 36 gallon qt should I move all fish in that tank?
That will work. No rocks as it will absorb some of the meds. PVC pipes provide hiding for fish

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I haven’t look for a few hours and is appears to not be there. Might have been sand. But tang still has the black ich
Dont count out the dots yet. While it can very well be sand, This parasite of it is will drop off to reproduce.
Is the rabbit eating and breathing normal>

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

From what I can see, the whitetail tang has black ich (a turbellarian) the foxface spots are pretty suspicious, but in the end, I don't think they are ich, but more likely are mucus plugs. You should watch the pattern and number of spots. If they change location and change in relative numbers from day to day, it is more likely ich. If the spots go away and don't return, or stay in the same spot for a number of days, it is more likely mucus plugs. Ich is also seen more on the fins than mucus plugs are.

Turbellarian worms are deep seated and difficult to treat. Praziquantel is often suggested, but that doesn't really work on turbellarians, only flukes and tapeworms. Formalin dips work really well, but that is toxic to use and difficult to source. Some people have had good success with 5 to 7 minute freshwater dips. In the end, black ich is often self-limiting, and can go away on its own.

Jay

OP
OP
F

fancy_fish101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I can see, the whitetail tang has black ich (a turbellarian) the foxface spots are pretty suspicious, but in the end, I don't think they are ich, but more likely are mucus plugs. You should watch the pattern and number of spots. If they change location and change in relative numbers from day to day, it is more likely ich. If the spots go away and don't return, or stay in the same spot for a number of days, it is more likely mucus plugs. Ich is also seen more on the fins than mucus plugs are.

Turbellarian worms are deep seated and difficult to treat. Praziquantel is often suggested, but that doesn't really work on turbellarians, only flukes and tapeworms. Formalin dips work really well, but that is toxic to use and difficult to source. Some people have had good success with 5 to 7 minute freshwater dips. In the end, black ich is often self-limiting, and can go away on its own.

Jay
Alr cool thank you

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back