Fiji cube 38g peninsula build

The S.S. Wes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I would show off my progression on my Fiji cube peninsula 38g build over the next couple months. I went with:
-ocean direct sand mixed with a little bit of top fins crushed coral
- Caribsea exotica rock from PetSmart because I liked the color and the courseness of it! Rock is wonderful size and perfect for glueing corals or frag plugs In it!
- I’m just finishing up a fish cycle using Dr Tim’s one and only, brightwells microbacteria, and fritzyme 9. All three are wonderful products for a fast and easy cycle!
-kept lights off while I cycle tank that’s why I have that small Led for while I’m working and adding to the tank. Haven’t decided which lights I’m going to go with. Im open to comments on what everyone thinks would work best for this build!
- I made this thread because when I was buying the tank I hadn’t seen many posts about the 38g peninsula so I thought I’d share my experience and journey with it! So far I’m absolutely loving it! Feel free to ask any questions! Or give feedback! Enjoy reefers!! *videos aren’t loading will try to add more later* 4B520900-A54B-4B20-AA8F-920017893844.jpeg 81F0622E-ED65-4816-A5CC-F7AC895FA26A.png

Last edited:

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice! I have there 18.5 peninsula ( now the 20gal) love the little think but its coming down.
I was looking at this tank for a FW planted tank. but decided to go with a canister filter vs AIO
but I thought about it long and hard.

if you have the space i would highly suggest setting it up as a peninsula that way you get the enjoyment from 3 viewing sides.

lighting: maybe a noops K73 or 2x ai primes.1 AI hydra reef breeders phonon 24"er
that have 2x 24"phonons over my large RS 650 peninsula working out great.

good luck and have fun!

Cheeze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Fiji Cube 38G AIO Peninsula, I got mine almost a year ago and it's a beautiful tank.

What equipment and filters are you planning on using? I have 2 AI Prime 16s that fit great, use a media tower (vs. the filter sock), upgraded the return pump to a Sicce, added a Nero3 for some low level flow, and am tinkering with switching my skimmer. Currently have the Tunze 9004 which works great but a little wonky to manage in this AIO chamber.

I like your aqua scaping btw! Keep updating this thread in the coming weeks!

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interested in your opinions on this tank. I have a 40B cabinet in the other room that needs a tank and this one is a possibility. Also like your cabinet choice and the idea of a "work light".

Ocypode sinensis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Fiji Cube 38G AIO Peninsula, I got mine almost a year ago and it's a beautiful tank.

What equipment and filters are you planning on using? I have 2 AI Prime 16s that fit great, use a media tower (vs. the filter sock), upgraded the return pump to a Sicce, added a Nero3 for some low level flow, and am tinkering with switching my skimmer. Currently have the Tunze 9004 which works great but a little wonky to manage in this AIO chamber.

I like your aqua scaping btw! Keep updating this thread in the coming weeks!
Tunze 9004 works in the 38g pennisula? I saw from other posts that 9004 won't work in a 32g, inconsistent skim they say, am considering between a 32g and a 38g.
Could you share how you mounted the 9004?

Cheeze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze 9004 works in the 38g pennisula? I saw from other posts that 9004 won't work in a 32g, inconsistent skim they say, am considering between a 32g and a 38g.
Could you share how you mounted the 9004?
It’s the only skimmer I’ve fiddled with that works best, from either a fit in the chamber or durability. Personally I haven’t had an issue with skim consistency either but that’s been my experience.
The mounting is a bit tricky tho. I have mine in the middle chamber against the 3rd chamber glass, the skimmer won’t fit any other way. Also can only use 1 magnet because of the chamber baffle, so I recommend making a flexible stand with egg crate to help keep it propped (and yet adjustable for water level). Sounds worse than it actually is.

Happy to answer any more questions!!!

Attachments

• 38E6E7FA-65F6-428A-9869-8BD260696F2F.jpeg
    38E6E7FA-65F6-428A-9869-8BD260696F2F.jpeg
    224 KB · Views: 63
  • 68203EFE-FB25-4D33-8B50-0600F13BB50C.jpeg
    68203EFE-FB25-4D33-8B50-0600F13BB50C.jpeg
    146.7 KB · Views: 56

Ocypode sinensis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s the only skimmer I’ve fiddled with that works best, from either a fit in the chamber or durability. Personally I haven’t had an issue with skim consistency either but that’s been my experience.
The mounting is a bit tricky tho. I have mine in the middle chamber against the 3rd chamber glass, the skimmer won’t fit any other way. Also can only use 1 magnet because of the chamber baffle, so I recommend making a flexible stand with egg crate to help keep it propped (and yet adjustable for water level). Sounds worse than it actually is.

Happy to answer any more questions!!!
Do you think just the upper magnet will hold the skimmer? I'm thinking about filling the lower part of the compartment with live rock/media in mesh bags

Cheeze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The magnet is pretty strong, but I have the makeshift stand in case the skimmer slips down a bit. The skimmer takes up about a little more than half the chamber, so you do have some room to fiddle with for live rock/media. Maybe even put the media in the center of the stand if you use egg crate and have empty space. And being that water actually flows from the surface into the skimmer (vs. pulled in from a pump at the bottom), the bag in this chamber could possibly work.

advanwoerden

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW I have the 32G AIO and it looks like the back chamber is the same. I also have the Tunze 9004 and I can't get it to produce skimmate. I've been on the phone with Tunze a couple times but can't seem to figure out the problem. Very frustrating!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back