Fiji Cube 57 Gallon External Overflow Build and 20-gallon fresh water

patdman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. Thanks for all the information from fellow reefers and your support. I just started assembling my aquarium. All the plumbing has been cut and placed. It is not glued yet until I am completely satisfied. The sump is out of a Red Sea Reefer 170 I paid like ten bucks for it. I plan on using a soft hose as a return line and attaching it to the T-valve to return at the bottom. Can anyone tell me how close to put the overflow pipes to the bottom of the sump? Mine are about 2 inches off the bottom. Also, do I want to drill holes into the PVC pipe where it flows into the sump at the bottom? If anyone sees something in the photos that I could make better or is out of place, please chime in. I am still new to the game. At the same time, I will be building a 20-gallon freshwater tank for my son's room. The freshwater has been up for three days. I took a tetra from the 5-gallon tank and added him to the 20 as a tester. This weekend Petco is having a sale on freshwater fish. I am thinking of getting ten neon tetras and Corydoras. Plus, some freshwater plants. Any Ideas for the aquascape on freshwater? Thinking of using some driftwood since I am so close to the beach.

overflow box plumbing.jpg IMG_20231210_172316830.jpg sump.jpg 20 gallon fresh water.jpg

Last edited:

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for the return pipes into the sump, you generally want them submerged 1-2 inches below the water line, and no more, as further submersion may create resistance to the water draining, creating excess noise. No need to drill holes in the pipes.

For the freshwater tank, driftwood is great! If you're getting it from outside, I'd make sure to boil it or at the very least clean it thoroughly with fresh water (no soaps)

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Main drain around 2" submerged to be quiet. Emergency drain you want above the sump waterline so you can hear it draining.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back