FileFish

dwref

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello everyone, Was wondering if anyone has had any luck using a Filefish to eat Monjono's , I know they are suppose to eat Aptasia, but need something to eat or remove Monjonos.

Thanks

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, Was wondering if anyone has had any luck using a Filefish to eat Monjono's , I know they are suppose to eat Aptasia, but need something to eat or remove Monjonos.

Thanks
Hmmm... Good question. I want to know as well... Anybody?

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They eat all kinds of stuff, mostly the pretty stuff. Mangos seem to be at the bottom of the list.

OP
OP
dwref

dwref

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks Fourstars, another question along the same lines is, what do you do with the fish, after it has cleaned your tank ?? But since monojos are at the bottom of it's feeding, then I guess I better pass.
I know how to heat up Kalk & stab them with it, but I have so many!! Was looking for an easy fix!!

Thanks

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up a 40B mushroom tank and he lives with the shrooms. I just purchased a 600 dollar Jawbreaker and if he touches it there will be hell to pay! If you have a local club sometimes they have one they pass around. If you don't have any shrimp eaters in you tank the I'd suggest peppermint shrimp. All my tanks have a couple

OP
OP
dwref

dwref

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't have a local club, sure wish we did have, but I live in a college town mainly, they really don't do saltwater, due to moving so much, plus there isn't many saltwater people here, to afraid of it. Yes I have talked to people about setting up a tank, they get lost & scared!! Plus since I live in a college town, my LFS doesn't really keep much saltwater items!!
Can't blame on the JawBreaker, I bought one off a guy, the flow knocked it off the plug, sure he is in my tank, but who knows where, plus it wasn't a $600 one, or I might be taring my tank apart. LOL I will try & pick up a couple Shrimp, but to do that, I either have to order them online, or hope that a store up in Columbus has some. Plus they are always so small, just about anywhere you buy them.
But thanks for the info!!!

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live two hours from any city. I do everything mail order. Algae barn is a good place to get Peppers.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My matted filefish have often eaten majanos. In fact, mine have eaten majanos as voraciously as aiptasia if not more.

That said, each one is different. Some won't eat either, others will eat coral, others will avoid nipping at any coral/nems altogether.

OP
OP
dwref

dwref

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks everyone for your input. Think I am going to try the shrimp first, also kill as many as I can with heated Kalk!!

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because of certain fish Nudis and Peppermints are out, and injecting has caused more to pop up. I added a Matted Filefish on Friday and so far he's only picked at pods and the Gorgonian and swims right by the Aptasia. I'm really hoping he comes around and starts eating some soon because I don't know where to go from here, I'm seeing new Aptasia pop up daily.

Signalhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was attacking other fish. Seen him taking pecks a scopas and later with a dead diamond gobby in his mouth. They are a hit and miss

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back