OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as tangs go youll be looking at small ones convicts yellows kole scopas anything else im afraid will outgrow your 75
I do know that unfortunately, I've been trying to find information on how quickly that'll happen but I can't seem to find much reliable information on that.

kp1991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do know that unfortunately, I've been trying to find information on how quickly that'll happen but I can't seem to find much reliable information on that.
Well yellow tang are mostly peaceful in my experience... but aye all tangs no matter what are illness magnets im sure you know but just thought id note

Clownmaniowa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand they are expert rated because they come from water that is lower by about almost 10゚ than we normally keep a reef tanks.

How long have you had it and what temperature do you keep it at?
They are amazingly beautiful.

Going on 6months 78-79 degrees I love the little guy

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well yellow tang are mostly peaceful in my experience... but aye all tangs no matter what are illness magnets im sure you know but just thought id note

It won’t be until I’m more experienced for sure, I’m still not too confident in my ability to recognize and treat illnesses so I don’t want to be handling a tang when I don’t know what I’m doing.

mikes686

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I'm trying to come up with some good stocking on my 75, fish, nems, inverts and all! I want to iron out compatibility before I make any more purchases. It'll be a reef with softies and LPS, don't think I'll get into SPS seems difficult.
I have in QT

• 2 Ocellaris clownfish
  • 1 Kaudern's Cardinal
  • 1 Neon goby
    • 1 Cleaner shrimp
    • 1 Peppermint shrimp
    • 6 ghost shrimp
    • 2 unknown crabs
    • 1 halloween hermit crab
    • 1 unknown hermit crab
    • 2 turbo snails
    • 1 reef cleaners package snails and hermits.
I want to get
  • 1 Green Clown Goby
  • 1 Midas blenny or lawnmower blenny (I can't have these together right? They occupy different parts of the tank but I'm assuming it's still a no, are there any other blennies I could get? I love blennies and gobies)
  • 1 Diamond Goby or a goby that would pair with a pistol shrimp (again, any others I could get with some of these?)
  • Tang? Wrasse? Anthias? What else could I put in here that would add some color or action? I really want a tang. I also like the fun colors and movement. Unique things.
    • 1 Cleaner shrimp (2 total)
    • 1 Fire shrimp
    • Another peppermint shrimp?
    • Conch
    • 'Boring Rock Urchin'- reefcleaners (Not until very established and whatnot for these and below)
    • a starfish
    • Anemone- what kind would be best and also host my clowns?
    • What other cool critters could I add?

I hope you plan on a sand bed and plenty of live rock. How new is your tank, has it been cycled and stabilized. Do you have a sump, what kind of water flow?

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you plan on a sand bed and plenty of live rock. How new is your tank, has it been cycled and stabilized. Do you have a sump, what kind of water flow?
If you look back in the thread there's a picture of my tank, I don't know how many pounds I have, but the image is there to get a visual. I've got a sump, 40 gallons with more rock. My tank is new and old. Some of the rock is very old, some is brand new but that's not really a concern for me at this moment since I also don't plan on adding all of these at once, nor do I plan on adding anything that'll eat up all of the things in the sand or algae just yet. I am planning on creating my list now even though I don't plan on getting them all right away because I don't want to get something now and have it turn out that it can't mix with something different I want down the road and whatnot. It's not a massive system so I want to make every choice count so it's important to me that for example something like an anemone be on the list now, or an urchin, because I know that further down the road I want one but don't want something that'll get injured by those things or cause some sort of compatibility issue.

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going on 6months 78-79 degrees I love the little guy
Might want to check out what Live Aquaria says, it may be surviving now but it sounds like keeping it in that warm of a tank is only going to cause it harm.

The Catalina Goby is native to the cold waters off the Eastern Pacific coast of the United States. This temperate species thrives in water temperatures between 60° F and 70° F. The Catalina Goby may be tolerant of warmer, tropical temperatures in most reef aquariums but only for a short time. If exposed to tropical temperatures for too long, the Catalina Goby can experience decreased resistance to disease and a shorter lifespan.

kp1991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It won’t be until I’m more experienced for sure, I’m still not too confident in my ability to recognize and treat illnesses so I don’t want to be handling a tang when I don’t know what I’m doing.
Yah i made the begginer mistake bought a blue hippo tang got velvet i didnt know what to look for let alone wasnt aware how large they get my 75 aint nowhere near large enough so yah honestly i feel like if you dont have a system 250 gallons or more its not worth it to get tangs. they like ampel swimming room so long tanks are better for them something to also take into consideration. also some tangs are schooling fish so some dont do well alone and most tangs are wild caught, that is also a factor due to them being ocean born the aquarium stresses them the hell out and they get sick but if you have a clean large system and use proper quarantine you should be Aye Ok

kp1991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you look back in the thread there's a picture of my tank, I don't know how many pounds I have, but the image is there to get a visual. I've got a sump, 40 gallons with more rock. My tank is new and old. Some of the rock is very old, some is brand new but that's not really a concern for me at this moment since I also don't plan on adding all of these at once, nor do I plan on adding anything that'll eat up all of the things in the sand or algae just yet. I am planning on creating my list now even though I don't plan on getting them all right away because I don't want to get something now and have it turn out that it can't mix with something different I want down the road and whatnot. It's not a massive system so I want to make every choice count so it's important to me that for example something like an anemone be on the list now, or an urchin, because I know that further down the road I want one but don't want something that'll get injured by those things or cause some sort of compatibility issue.
Truly you dont need a sump good filtration and a good cleaner crew, live rock and regular water changes and your golden. My pops had a reef tank in guam back in the 80s and never used a 1/4 of the things people buy nowadays and his tank was very happy. My tank to is also quite happy with out all that stuff aswell as my pocket and my low energy bill haha lol

Nick Gianakos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if LFS has both and I get the yellow and green at the same time, would it be unwise to QT them together in a 10 gallon or even TTM with a bucket providing there's plenty of PVC and things? Or while in QT should I just avoid that all together and keep one in an acclimation box?

Same question again with the blennies, wondering if it's any different because of their size.

And ah shrimp gobies. A goby that pairs with a shrimp duh. I'd love a mandarin but I don't plan on stocking around one, it's very much a long shot since I'd always worry if it has enough to eat. I had no idea you could keep multiple shrimp gobies, I'm assuming that would be only if they're paired with a shrimp so they have reason to stay in their own territory? LFS had something they called an eel goby, but whenever I google it I just get some weird deep sea alien thing and I don't want to look anymore. They were pretty neat. Those zebra bar gobies are fun, and they look like they wouldn't have too many issues with a shrimp or sleeper goby, or one of the clown or neon ones, that's a good option I didn't even know of them before!
If your worried about aggression in a smaller QT just get a tank divider, your LFS should have them or at least be able to order you one.

Nick Gianakos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if LFS has both and I get the yellow and green at the same time, would it be unwise to QT them together in a 10 gallon or even TTM with a bucket providing there's plenty of PVC and things? Or while in QT should I just avoid that all together and keep one in an acclimation box?

Same question again with the blennies, wondering if it's any different because of their size.

And ah shrimp gobies. A goby that pairs with a shrimp duh. I'd love a mandarin but I don't plan on stocking around one, it's very much a long shot since I'd always worry if it has enough to eat. I had no idea you could keep multiple shrimp gobies, I'm assuming that would be only if they're paired with a shrimp so they have reason to stay in their own territory? LFS had something they called an eel goby, but whenever I google it I just get some weird deep sea alien thing and I on't want to look anymore. They were pretty neat. Those zebra bar gobies are fun, and they look like they wouldn't have too many issues with a shrimp or sleeper goby, or one of the clown or neon ones, that's a good option I didn't even know of them before!
The shrimp gobies don't have to have a pistol shrimp with them but it is certainly a fun thing to have. The "eel" goby is probably an engineer goby or convict blenny. They get big and can collapse you aquascape if you have it resting on the sand because of all the "engineering" of the sand around. I personally avoid.
The Randall's Goby, Aurora Goby, and the Yasha Hasha gobies are my favorites.

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yah i made the begginer mistake bought a blue hippo tang got velvet i didnt know what to look for let alone wasnt aware how large they get my 75 aint nowhere near large enough so yah honestly i feel like if you dont have a system 250 gallons or more its not worth it to get tangs. they like ampel swimming room so long tanks are better for them something to also take into consideration. also some tangs are schooling fish so some dont do well alone and most tangs are wild caught, that is also a factor due to them being ocean born the aquarium stresses them the hell out and they get sick but if you have a clean large system and use proper quarantine you should be Aye Ok
I saw a yellow tang at LFS that was captive bred which made me excited but I agree, watching live cams of tangs in the ocean or massive aquariums they really need more space.

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Truly you dont need a sump good filtration and a good cleaner crew, live rock and regular water changes and your golden. My pops had a reef tank in guam back in the 80s and never used a 1/4 of the things people buy nowadays and his tank was very happy. My tank to is also quite happy with out all that stuff aswell as my pocket and my low energy bill haha lol
Helpful I'm sure but I agree probably not mandatory as long as you're careful in other ways. For me a skimmer and sump and fuge means that I'll hopefully be able to keep my other maintenance low.

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your worried about aggression in a smaller QT just get a tank divider, your LFS should have them or at least be able to order you one.
I could always make one, I've got some different materials and an acclimation box, 2 actually so I just wanted to know if it was better to start out like that or do it as needed.

kp1991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Helpful I'm sure but I agree probably not mandatory as long as you're careful in other ways. For me a skimmer and sump and fuge means that I'll hopefully be able to keep my other maintenance low.
Right im sure aye whatever works for everyone else personally i prefer to do my biweekly water changes and water testing to keep me on my A game

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shrimp gobies don't have to have a pistol shrimp with them but it is certainly a fun thing to have. The "eel" goby is probably an engineer goby or convict blenny. They get big and can collapse you aquascape if you have it resting on the sand because of all the "engineering" of the sand around. I personally avoid.
The Randall's Goby, Aurora Goby, and the Yasha Hasha gobies are my favorites.
It's a shame they're so destructive, they're fun to watch swim around. I like the yasha and the hi fin.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only advice is take your time.. Because you will start discovering all kinds of cool fish you want once it's too late.

As soon as I see one of these threads, my first thought is "this guy doesn't even know what's out there"

Have you looked at the rare fish selection from Fishy Business? Pacific Island Aquaculture? Have you asked where to source rare/unique fish?

Some of these rare and super unusual fish are great community members, and really inexpensive to boot... I would highly suggest you slow down hard, and do some searching. Start by looking at the vendors here.

kp1991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a yellow tang at LFS that was captive bred which made me excited but I agree, watching live cams of tangs in the ocean or massive aquariums they really need more space.
Yah they truly do they are awesome fish to have my tang had so much character when i had her she was all over the tank so much energy.... they need a decently heavy water movement aireated is a plus and a long tank because if you observe tangs in the wild they hang out in they heavily oxygenated surge zone so i firmly believe that they need a heavily oxygenated tank due to their nature but ima try again one day with tangs its gonna be a epic grazzing tank with algaed rock and schools of them im dreaming

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only advice is take your time.. Because you will start discovering all kinds of cool fish you want once it's too late.

As soon as I see one of these threads, my first thought is "this guy doesn't even know what's out there"

Have you looked at the rare fish selection from Fishy Business? Pacific Island Aquaculture? Have you asked where to source rare/unique fish?

Some of these rare and super unusual fish are great community members, and really inexpensive to boot... I would highly suggest you slow down hard, and do some searching. Start by looking at the vendors here.
I've been using the Live Aquaria website since they seem to be the leader in information about fish compatibility and size related concerns, as well as always coming in at the very top of highly recommended online vendors. PIA comes in as well but I don't seem to see too much on Fishy Business. I'll check out these vendors of course, but in my research so far it seems that the rarer fish tend to be more difficult to care for which isn't something I wish to take on. In addition to that I would rather support LFS if I could.
And then that brings the question of why they are 'rare' fish? Is it because there are so few of them in the wild that they're difficult to find/catch? Do they come from areas where it's no longer legal to take fish from? Overall why is one fish considered 'rare' and not the one next to it? It sounds like it's got the potential to start getting into some murky water if you ask me.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fishy Business has a whole ton of fish, you have to look at what they're offering not their WYSIWYG section. Probably the largest selection i've ever seen.

Fish are rare because they're hard to get to, or from unusual areas. Some of the "rarest" angels in this hobby go for 15,000+ and are considered some of the rarest fish you can find... But at 300 feet you see them thriving. You'll find hundreds of them in a 30x30' area. They're rare because they're hard to get to. Some are rare because they're hard to take care of, or have a poor success rate. Some are rare because they're expensive.

But most are just not collected for any good reason.

Take your time, and don't try to stock it too quickly.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back