OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs and wrasses should get along just fine. In a 75 you'll need to stick with a zebrasoma or ctenochaerus tang and for the wrasse Id go with a Cirrhilabrus sp. My personal favorites are the solarensis or the Scott's fairy. If you try an anthias go with the Lyretail, I've had luck with them. I've had 3 or 4 over the years and only one of them needed to be fed live brine before accepting frozen. I would say 2-3 daily feeding is a must with them though.
Two to three feedings daily is a definite pass for me. I can do one, but between grad school, work, and an internship there will be no such multiple feedings daily. Especially not live food. I will buy a lovely assortment of different flakes and pellets and sheets. And I have a nice lump of some fish in the freezer that I should shave some off of on occasion, maybe even steal something before my dad cooks it but I won't be going out of my way for fancy feeding, it's more of a 'what's there' sort of style that I've got which is an important thing for me to consider and why I must unfortunately pass on the anthias.

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is good you are doing research on what gets along. I am very cautious when adding a new fish. I want to make sure they all get along and won't get to big for my tank. Just don't add to many fish at one time.
I don't plan on it, I'm still not even sure when my 76 day fallow is going to be over, or if I'll cut it short or anything. I might pull out the things I've gotten most recently since the rock has probably had long enough by now, need to check the calendar. LFS is having a massive sale though so if I could at least get my next couple fish, my current QT fish are going in this week if everything works out.

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a yellowline goby btw, Elacatinus Figaro. Neon gobies have blue lines, Elacatinus oceanops.
Wait really? *gasp* LFS has them all together and all categorized as neon gobies. Do you know off hand if it changes anything with compatibility? I've been looking up neon goby comparability not yellowline. I'll look as well of course.

Nick Gianakos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two to three feedings daily is a definite pass for me. I can do one, but between grad school, work, and an internship there will be no such multiple feedings daily. Especially not live food. I will buy a lovely assortment of different flakes and pellets and sheets. And I have a nice lump of some fish in the freezer that I should shave some off of on occasion, maybe even steal something before my dad cooks it but I won't be going out of my way for fancy feeding, it's more of a 'what's there' sort of style that I've got which is an important thing for me to consider and why I must unfortunately pass on the anthias.
you should at least get some type of frozen food, mysis or brine shrimp. A lot of fish wont go near flakes or pellets until they are more settled to their new home.

Nick Gianakos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait really? *gasp* LFS has them all together and all categorized as neon gobies. Do you know off hand if it changes anything with compatibility? I've been looking up neon goby comparability not yellowline. I'll look as well of course.
they are basically identical fish besides their color. I can almost guarantee that your LFS bought them all from ORA and just put them all together. check them out at orafarm.com

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you should at least get some type of frozen food, mysis or brine shrimp. A lot of fish wont go near flakes or pellets until they are more settled to their new home.
That's good to know, the fish I have currently don't have any problems with the flakes or pellets, but they were all aquacultured. I'll make sure I pick some up at the sale.

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are basically identical fish besides their color. I can almost guarantee that your LFS bought them all from ORA and just put them all together. check them out at orafarm.com
Probably, I know they're all aquacultured which I really like but I don't think they did it themselves.

Clownmaniowa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those do look amazing but I'm going to stay away from the expert rated fish for sure.

It’s a very hardy fish my nitrates and ammonia were sky high for like a week and he is the only one that survived it my clowns died figured they would live but nope

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a very hardy fish my nitrates and ammonia were sky high for like a week and he is the only one that survived it my clowns died figured they would live but nope
Live Aquaria lists it as an expert only fish so I'm going to take their word on it. probably because they're a cold water fish and can't live with most of the temperatures that other fish live at. Sorry to hear about your clowns that's very sad :(

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Catalina goby he’s got a interesting personality
I understand they are expert rated because they come from water that is lower by about almost 10゚ than we normally keep a reef tanks.

How long have you had it and what temperature do you keep it at?
They are amazingly beautiful.

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anybody second a yellow and green clown goby together in a 75 gallon? Most of the things I see when I search compatibility are for nano tanks where you get both answers, and with a fish that size I imagine size tank would make a difference. What if I introduce them at the same time? QT them together etc. What if I can't introduce them at the same time because LFS doesn't have both in stock at the same time?

Does anybody know anything about a Midas Blenny and an Algae Blenny in the same tank? What about other multiple gobies?

This is my approximate aquascape, the solitary rocks on the bottom at the left and the middle will be moved or removed when I stop being lazy about it and get the step stool and gloves out.
IMG_0609.JPG

Nick Gianakos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A yellow and green clown goby together is definitely going to be a case by case basis. A 75 gallon should allow it but invidual fish are going to have different personalities. Definitely put them in at the same time, if your LFS doesn’t have both of them at the same time but you have a QT you should be good. Get one, put in the QT and keep there until you can get the other. Put a divider in the QT so you can keep them separate until the new fish is fully quarantined, then put them into your display tank at the same time.

The Midas and the Algae are of different genuses so it may work. You would want to do the same thing I described with the two clown gobies.

Shrimp gobies usually get along with enough space and there own territory. A sleeper goby would be fine, like a diamond, but you generally want a more established tank so there is enough food for them in the sand bed. Then there are the dart “gobies” and mandarin “gobies”. Not really gobies but may work under the right circumstances. Look up zebra bar gobies, a group of 3-6 of them is a personal favorite look for me.

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A yellow and green clown goby together is definitely going to be a case by case basis. A 75 gallon should allow it but invidual fish are going to have different personalities. Definitely put them in at the same time, if your LFS doesn’t have both of them at the same time but you have a QT you should be good. Get one, put in the QT and keep there until you can get the other. Put a divider in the QT so you can keep them separate until the new fish is fully quarantined, then put them into your display tank at the same time.

The Midas and the Algae are of different genuses so it may work. You would want to do the same thing I described with the two clown gobies.

Shrimp gobies usually get along with enough space and there own territory. A sleeper goby would be fine, like a diamond, but you generally want a more established tank so there is enough food for them in the sand bed. Then there are the dart “gobies” and mandarin “gobies”. Not really gobies but may work under the right circumstances. Look up zebra bar gobies, a group of 3-6 of them is a personal favorite look for me.
So if LFS has both and I get the yellow and green at the same time, would it be unwise to QT them together in a 10 gallon or even TTM with a bucket providing there's plenty of PVC and things? Or while in QT should I just avoid that all together and keep one in an acclimation box?

Same question again with the blennies, wondering if it's any different because of their size.

And ah shrimp gobies. A goby that pairs with a shrimp duh. I'd love a mandarin but I don't plan on stocking around one, it's very much a long shot since I'd always worry if it has enough to eat. I had no idea you could keep multiple shrimp gobies, I'm assuming that would be only if they're paired with a shrimp so they have reason to stay in their own territory? LFS had something they called an eel goby, but whenever I google it I just get some weird deep sea alien thing and I don't want to look anymore. They were pretty neat. Those zebra bar gobies are fun, and they look like they wouldn't have too many issues with a shrimp or sleeper goby, or one of the clown or neon ones, that's a good option I didn't even know of them before!

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure which sleeper goby you are thinking of getting but I have a sleeper banded goby, does a great job of sifting the sand and it eats fish food as well so it is not as dependent on a lot of algae as some sand sifters are.

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure which sleeper goby you are thinking of getting but I have a sleeper banded goby, does a great job of sifting the sand and it eats fish food as well so it is not as dependent on a lot of algae as some sand sifters are.
Neither am I frankly, I like the diamond ones, but with their size I imagine that they'd eat a lot of the stuff in the sand. Maybe a smaller one, I'm also looking more into different watchmen gobies. LFS had a hi fin and that little fella came out of his little cave, fin up high and mouth open he looked like an angry little dragon it was the best. I heard that I might be able to keep multiple shrimp gobies. I wonder if I'd be able to keep a shrimp goby with a pistol, and maybe a sleeper? Or multiple? I just really love gobies I'm trying to come up with the best possible combination to get the most SAFELY. So if I could get multiple but they need to be added at the same time I want to know ahead of time.

kp1991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as tangs go youll be looking at small ones convicts yellows kole scopas anything else im afraid will outgrow your 75

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back