Filter Cup Question

mjlash22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I posted this question in my build thread but I figured it would get more exposure here. I opted for filter cups instead of socks in my new 525XL. I have each cup filled a little under half way with matrix and then filter floss up top which almost fills the cup. There’s maybe about a quarter to half inch from top of floss to top of cup.

The water is pretty much always flowing over the first cup and partially flows into the second cup. By day 2 after new floss is put in, the water is flowing over both cups and by day 3-4 flowing over the top of the holders.

My question is, is my flow too much? Should I take the matrix out of the cups and just just floss? Maybe the matrix is blocking too much of the holes/slits. Is this normal?

I had a Reefer 250 and never had this issue with flowing over the cups so I’m just curious.

296836417a3a054c82712aa6a87bcfef.jpg

210cc5869dabcc6e4f1a5f22181c0c54.jpg

Last edited:

coral-boss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran the filter floss in my media cups for about a week. they got clogged way to fast for me. had to replace everyday. did away with the floss and just using polyfilter now. maybe try not compressing it so much into the cup, might help a bit

coral-boss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really only use the floss now if I want a cleaner polish once in a while. just my experience

OP
OP
mjlash22

mjlash22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran the filter floss in my media cups for about a week. they got clogged way to fast for me. had to replace everyday. did away with the floss and just using polyfilter now. maybe try not compressing it so much into the cup, might help a bit

So do you just put a pad over the filter inlets?

coral-boss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually cut a square a little bit bigger than the opening and stuff it in. I keep rubble rock in the cups so the pad just sits on top of it. never really had any negative things happen doing it this way. ill try and take a picture when I get home. the poly filter just isn't as aggressive as that fine filter floss, wont catch as much either but i'm ok with that.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too full. I'd take out the Matrix and put it in a low flow area. Having it in the cup sort of defeats the convenience of just being able to dump the cup, plus it'll work better. I use Tunze Macro wadding. It's a little coarser and doesn't get clogged nearly as quickly. A little goes a long way. I fill it maybe halfway. Sometimes I sandwich a little carbon in there, but just a little or it clogs up in a day or too. Love the cups!

OP
OP
mjlash22

mjlash22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually cut a square a little bit bigger than the opening and stuff it in. I keep rubble rock in the cups so the pad just sits on top of it. never really had any negative things happen doing it this way. ill try and take a picture when I get home. the poly filter just isn't as aggressive as that fine filter floss, wont catch as much either but i'm ok with that.

Too full. I'd take out the Matrix and put it in a low flow area. Having it in the cup sort of defeats the convenience of just being able to dump the cup, plus it'll work better. I use Tunze Macro wadding. It's a little coarser and doesn't get clogged nearly as quickly. A little goes a long way. I fill it maybe halfway. Sometimes I sandwich a little carbon in there, but just a little or it clogs up in a day or too. Love the cups!
Thanks for the advice guys! I'm going to try taking even more matrix out and maybe just have a small base layer in the cup and put the rest into the main inlet chamber.

where did u get the cups from
I have two types. The ones pictured were purchased from anything acrylic on facebook. I also have a set of the Marine Depot ones from my old tank.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back