Filter media

kalcock78

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 16, 2026
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55 gallon saltwater tank. 2 months old. Aqueon 75 gallon HOB filter. Should I change out the standard filter media that comes with the filter? What is best practice?
 
I don't know what media Aqueon uses in the HOB filters. But in general if it has a foam block, you should always rinse that off in some tank water so you don't destroy the bacteria that has colonized it, and if it has a carbon or charcoal section, that can be replaced at least monthly. Every 3 months or so you should disassemble the HOB filter assembly and clean the pump and impeller, it'll get pretty slimy.

It is up to you to decide if you want to use preloaded filter cartridges from Aqueon or buy a zippered nylon bag and refill with your own carbon. Fwiw, pelleted carbon is much safer for your fish than the granular type, always rinse it well before you use it so the fines don't get into the tank. ROX 0.8 carbon is expensive but doesn't require much and is THE safest carbon to use in a marine aquarium. I mention this because some carbons/charcoals are coal based and are very harmful to a lot of the fish we keep, tangs and angels in particular.
 
I have a 55 gallon saltwater tank. 2 months old. Aqueon 75 gallon HOB filter. Should I change out the standard filter media that comes with the filter? What is best practice?
Its fine filter media for basic needs.
I would over size the HOB filter by 2x minimum though. 2 of the 55 gallon HOBs would be ideal since its only got one pickup tube and no surface skimmer like the seachem tidal HOB.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new