Filter sock advice needed please.

Old Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having a 180 g built. Already have a75 g sump, but it only has one 7" sock. Will this be sufficient for this size tank. I'm running a refugium and skimmer also. Tank will have two return pumps and a MD large overflow box rated for 200 gallon tank. Specs on overflow box does not give gph rating, just tank size rating.

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having a 180 g built. Already have a75 g sump, but it only has one 7" sock. Will this be sufficient for this size tank. I'm running a refugium and skimmer also. Tank will have two return pumps and a MD large overflow box rated for 200 gallon tank. Specs on overflow box does not give gph rating, just tank size rating.
I would say "yes" but be prepared to change it every two to three days and don't be surprised if it starts to clog early day 2. Really depends on how much you're feeding on a daily basis, how much of that is going down the overflow, and what that food happens to be.

OP
OP
Old Reefer

Old Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks very much. I was hoping it would be ok. Sump is in use now on smaller tank, so I can't modify it, and it will be a swap over to big tank all in one day. I hope.

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks very much. I was hoping it would be ok. Sump is in use now on smaller tank, so I can't modify it, and it will be a swap over to big tank all in one day. I hope.
Just remember to test to make sure your sump can handle the overflow volume when you pull the plug (power outage) and since you don't know your GPH rating of your overflow, there's a chance you could max it out depending on what returns you choose (but redundancy is good).

OP
OP
Old Reefer

Old Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it will be tested every which way i can think of. If it did overflow sock chamber, it would just flow excess into refugium, but i dont want that happening. Thanks

R.Weller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a lot of water volume. Perhaps consider going without the filter sock & testing nutrients to see if it is necessary. I have not used one once since upgrading to a large tank. This is our second year without it & I have no plans to bring it back.

OP
OP
Old Reefer

Old Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, that's something i will try, when i upgrade. I cant keep my n03 and p04 up now, and I'm feeding a bunch twice a day always a mixture of frozen and supplemented with some pellets. They're full long before the food is gone,

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you wish to polish your water or remove larger particulate.

I have a thread and have yet to get an answer why people think felt filter socks of the same micron of mesh filter socks are more effective.

The point being is that I switched to 100 and 200 micron mesh socks from the felt as they are significantly easier to clean and will not clog as fast as felt. Filtration has gotten so good that we are seeing a paradigm shift with a large number of hobbyist having issued with nutrients bottoming out and dosing N & P back into our tanks.

I certainly want uneaten food and detritus particulate removed, but I ok with under 100 micron items which I believe includes beneficial microfauna. In either case, that are either felt filtering more than their micro rating or filtering no more than their equivalent mesh filters, mesh socks will filter out what they are listed to do and are so much easier to clean that they have become the choice for me.

Not only do felt sock filter particulate, they also trap it within their fibers which are very difficult to remove. Mesh rinse clean in seconds in the sink.

I am using 200 micron mesh socks and change them twice a week. They don't over flow like my felt socks if if fall behind in changing them and there is no more visible detritus build up than I was getting with the felt socks

I also have 100 & 250 micron mesh socks in case I want to adjust my filtering

Last edited:
OP
OP
Old Reefer

Old Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i would like a little bit of both. I have felt now and change it out every 3 to 4 days. I have the rectangular shape ones. I haven't seen the mesh ones in that style. I'd be happy to try them though, my main concern was whether one 7" would be sufficient. Thanks for your reply.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 50 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 177 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.9%
Back