Filter sock holder extender?

  • Thread starter Thread starter thatone08
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

thatone08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
May 16, 2021
Messages
1,218
Reaction score
6,190
Location
plainfield
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

Has anyone ever come across a filter sock extender(for lack of a better term)?

What I’m facing. Have a sump with a built in filter sock holder. I want to start using a media cup with floss. Issue is this holder is too high for me to fit the cup in due to there being a lip on the sump, and the bulk head right above. There is maybe 3 inches from the holder to the lip.

Hoping there’s some kind of solution where I can put cup in a holder then the top of the holder in the existing one.

Alternative solution cut the acrylic of the holder to be able to put cup in. However since there is a lip I don’t want to have an issue with sock not sitting properly if I decide to go back to them.

Any solutions are welcome. Thanks!
 
Sounds like you will need to DIY something since it is such a specific application. For things like this I keep a sheet of 1/4 inch acrylic in the garage. Easy enough to cut sections out with a jig saw and use a propane torch to soften and bend into shapes. A picture would be helpful for us to see better what you are dealing with.
 
Sounds like you will need to DIY something since it is such a specific application. For things like this I keep a sheet of 1/4 inch acrylic in the garage. Easy enough to cut sections out with a jig saw and use a propane torch to soften and bend into shapes. A picture would be helpful for us to see better what you are dealing with.
Sorry busy weekend.

Here’s the sock holder. Originally was using socks but want to switch to a filter cup for now. Not any room to put a cup in. Currently trying the reef diaper, but not entirely happy with it. I also can’t put the pvc from the bulk head down to direct water into it. Tried cutting off top of a sock as that works perfectly but tried using zip ties. Needs some work.

IMG_7491.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Sorry busy weekend.

Here’s the sock holder. Originally was using socks but want to switch to a filter cup for now. Not any room to put a cup in. Currently trying the reef diaper, but not entirely happy with it. I also can’t put the pvc from the bulk head down to direct water into it. Tried cutting off top of a sock as that works perfectly but tried using zip ties. Needs some work.

IMG_7491.jpeg
Can you cut the current holder into more of a U shape so that you could slide the cup into place and then use velcro or a zip tie to hold it in? In the sketch below green would be the current sock holder, red would be after cutting, and blue is a velcro strap or zip tie.
IMG_4233.jpeg
 
Can you cut the current holder into more of a U shape so that you could slide the cup into place and then use velcro or a zip tie to hold it in? In the sketch below green would be the current sock holder, red would be after cutting, and blue is a velcro strap or zip tie.
IMG_4233.jpeg
I think I could get away with not cutting as much, but unsure the best way to go about it. Not a whole lot of room so scoring and snapping is dicey. Dremel is a possibility but might be too messy. Heating and bending might work.
 
I think I could get away with not cutting as much, but unsure the best way to go about it. Not a whole lot of room so scoring and snapping is dicey. Dremel is a possibility but might be too messy. Heating and bending might work.
If you are still having trouble with this , with a few pictures and a sketch of what you need , I can get you up and running in no time. Always looking for my next adventure
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 4 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new