Filter sock question

G_Lows

Glows
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will start with saying that I am planning on a new sump in the future, but it is not in the budget right now.

my current sump (triton 34) does not have filter socks, and there isn’t a way I can add them unless I replumb and bypass my first chamber. Would it be any benefit if I added a small pump in one of my chambers and then plumbed that to a hang on sock? I would like my water to be more polished, and hate looking at the micro particles floating around in my display. In the future I will be purchasing a new sump that has socks or a roller so this would just be a temporary fix for polishing water. Thanks!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Chewy.com

Simplicity Filter Sock Holder​

By Simplicity
rating-0_0.png
Write the First Review

• Price:
    $12.95FREESHIPPING OVER $49

In stock
Arrives between Mar 11 and Mar 14
Color: 4-in
237536_MAIN._AC_SS45_V1595285164_.jpg
Click to select4-in
237537_MAIN._AC_SS45_V1595285153_.jpg
Click to select7-in

chadfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will start with saying that I am planning on a new sump in the future, but it is not in the budget right now.

my current sump (triton 34) does not have filter socks, and there isn’t a way I can add them unless I replumb and bypass my first chamber. Would it be any benefit if I added a small pump in one of my chambers and then plumbed that to a hang on sock? I would like my water to be more polished, and hate looking at the micro particles floating around in my display. In the future I will be purchasing a new sump that has socks or a roller so this would just be a temporary fix for polishing water. Thanks!
I got this. Shoved it under my overflow pipe. Works pretty good.

4" Pre Sump Filter Sock...

OP
OP
G_Lows

G_Lows

Glows
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this. Shoved it under my overflow pipe. Works pretty good.

4" Pre Sump Filter Sock...

I’m unable to add something like that to my main over flow or baffles. My question is if it would be worth it to add a separate pump in sump just plumbed directly to one of those holders hung on the side of my sump

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are the micro particles coming from?
Many of us have clear water without sox.

OP
OP
G_Lows

G_Lows

Glows
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are the micro particles coming from?
Many of us have clear water without sox.
I’m not sure exactly. Tank is relatively new and going through uglies. I think it’s just stuff blowing around from flow? I don’t have enough flow that is mounding sand though

chadfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m unable to add something like that to my main over flow or baffles. My question is if it would be worth it to add a separate pump in sump just plumbed directly to one of those holders hung on the side of my sump
I think so. I like the quality of my water after adding the sock. But it didn’t necessarily keep suspended solids from being blown around the tank. Not all the particles get sucked into the overflow.
But I like having the control over the micron size. Before it was just whatever got caught in the filter floors in my sump

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get yourself a small polishing filter that attaches to a powerhead, you can place inside of tank overnight and by morning water will be clear. I do this when I clean my rocks and sand bed, run the filter for a few hours to help clear up the water. Works wonders.

Attachments

• 41cZjBjdLUL._AC_.jpg
    41cZjBjdLUL._AC_.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 25

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 12.5%
Back